Graphics III students design seventh annual Quarry Bowl T-shirt

Jessica Rose, Morgan Tidwell and Amanda Goetzd wear their offical Quarry Bowl shirts for the freshmen Quarry Bowl game. Photo by Rachel Marquardt

Jessica Rose lines up at the student store, money in hand, ready to purchase the seventh annual Quarry Bowl T-shirt. Even though this T-shirt is supporting an annual event, the T-shirt this year is the first of its kind; composed of two winning entries designed not by professionals but by students from the Graphics III class, Alannah Frankel and Hanan Begic.

“This is the first T-shirt design they have done for the school. They mocked them up onto the T-shirts and Mr. Mougeotte came in as the “client,” picking three finalists. From there he brought them to ASB to pick the final decision for the front and back,” graphics teacher Ms. Whitney Lum said.

Begic and Frankel created, as part of the curriculum in Graphics III, a design for the front and back of the new Quarry Bowl T-shirt, not knowing that Frankel’s front design and Begic’s back design would be combined.

“The process took about 3 to 4 days for me, it started with a few sketches and then after I picked the best one and created it on the computer, making little adjustments as I went,” Frankel said.

The students were given guidelines by event coordinator Mr. Travis Mougeotte including the words that must be displayed on the back of the shirt, then were asked to create these two designs that would be entered into a contest. Besides the guidelines Mougeotte gave the students, the ideas were all their own.

“They sketched and came up with their own ideas, and even some of their own slogans to pitch to Mougeotte and ASB,” Lum said.

The winners of the contest, Frankel for the front and Begic for the back, were chosen to send their designs to the printing company to be used as the official T-shirt of the Quarry Bowl.

“When I found out my design got chosen, I was stoked. There were a lot of great options from the other students in the class, so I was super honored to have my design picked by Mougeotte,” Frankel said.

Unlike what was expected where one winner would produce the design of both the front and back of the shirt, Frankel and Begic’s designs were combined to create it. In order for it to coordinate, adaptations had to be made to both designs.

“At first the two were separate designs, then the front was adapted to match. Fonts that I chose carried onto the front of Alannah’s front design,” Begic said.

With the creation of T-shirts for the school being a new emphasis in the program, Lum sees this as a big step in the process of combining her students’ skills with ASB, specifically with the new redesign of the basketball court.

“There is a really good partnership starting with ASB, Feuerbach’s athletic interns, and with our class. ASB does a lot of the spirit and school culture. Overall I think we can make a bigger impact and focus more on sending one big message versus multiple messages from different groups. As for the basketball court, we will be working in conjunction with Mr. Feuerbach and his athletic interns,” Lum said.

Currently, Begic is working to adapt her design for the powder puff T-shirts, while Frankel and the Graphics III class works to develop posters for the upcoming play, “The Importance of Being Earnest.”
The official T-shirt will be sold at the seventh annual Quarry Bowl for 10 dollars, limited supply.

by RACHEL MARQUARDT