“Faking It” Captures the Attention of Millions

Faking It Captures the Attention of Millions

“Faking It,” MTV’s newest original TV series, made its debut April 22 and its creators hope it will be the network’s biggest hit since “Jersey Shore.” The season premiere brought in a whopping 1.16 million viewers and with six episodes in, the series already has viewers on their toes in shock and excitement for this thrilling new series. Surprisingly, it is not as corny as most scripted series tend to be.

Katie Stevens plays Karma, one of the main stars of the show, and is more known for being a Top 9 contestant in season 8 of American Idol. Karma is a sophomore in high school who comes from a family of “hippies” and her main goal is to become popular and hook up with the most popular guy in school, Liam (actor’s name). Gregg Sulkin plays the “hottest guy at school,” Liam better known as an actor from the Disney series Wizards of Waverly Places. Rita Volk plays Karma’s best friend Amy and comes from a completely different family atmosphere. Amy comes from a Texan Republican family and her step sister, Lauren (Bailey Buntain) is determined to make her high school experience miserable.Last but not least, is Shane who is Liam’s best friend who also happens to be gay and is played by Michael J. Willett.

The season begins with the best friends, Karma and Amy, trying to find themselves in high school and Karma wants nothing more than to be known and popular. Somehow things got twisted and misinterpreted and before they knew it they were being nominated for homecoming queens and their entire school believed they were dating. With Karma’s desire to be popular, she convinced Amy to go along with the rumor to keep herself in the center of attention. To assure their school of their sexual orientation they kissed at their homecoming rally in front of their entire student body. After their big kiss, Amy enjoyed it too much and realized she had real feelings for her best friend and was convinced she was an actual lesbian.

Overall, “Faking It” is a really good show that reels the audience into the story plot more and more each episode. Every episode gets even more interesting and adds more of a twist to the already puzzled plot. Though the show is intriguing it tends to drift from reality however, the fact that it is not always realistic is what keeps the story amusing. Most high school aged students might not be able to relate to many of the event of the show such as making out with the most popular not at school in the art room or having their parents bring their food truck to school. However, it can be relatable with students’ struggle to find themselves in high school or the hardships of coming out to the world.

To find out if the girls’ secret becomes exposed to the rest of the high school, tune in to “Faking It” every Tuesday night on MTV.