Boys’ varsity basketball won the Quarry Classic 80-77

No. 23 Sterling Quinton dribbles toward the basket in the fourth annual Quarry Classic. Photo by Lindsey Immers

Completing the three-game sweep, the varsity boys’ basketball team won the fourth annual Quarry Classic 80-77.

After both freshman and JV team wins, hundreds more fans in maroon and blue packed into student sections on opposing sides. Once the starting team members were announced, Casey Borghesi sang the national anthem and the action began.

The Wildcats started out strong, immediately shooting a two pointer. Daniel Jones shot a three pointer with 4:10 on the clock, Whitney in the lead 8-7.  Rocklin fell short in the end of quarter with the score 15-11.

The second quarter started with a quick succession of points. No. 23 Sterling Quinton started a play that helped the Wildcats shoot and score three times successively, 22-11 with Whitney in the lead. The Wildcats maintained their lead and ended the second quarter 37-32.

After halftime performances of the both schools’ dance and cheer teams, the third quarter began and the scores got closer. Within two minutes Rocklin was behind by only one point, 42-41. The teams stayed neck and neck, No. 11 Isaiah Taylor helped push the Wildcats forward with two three pointers. The third quarter ended with a tie 58-58.

The fourth quarter saw power forward No. 00 Colin Hawkins shoot a three pointer. No. 33 Brian Sterri also shot for three points. The teams stayed with in a few points of each other. The Wildcats pulled through in the end and took the win.

“I felt great, the energy and intensity was there. Definitely our student section really kept the energy and intensity going strong, it influenced us to keep it going even when times got a little rough. As of right now in this time period Whitney is the better basketball program in the area, we swept Rocklin for the first time in history,” No. 10 Moses Daniels said.

Head coach Nick French felt proud of the boys and their win.

“They did well. It was a good game and we pulled out in the end. I’m very very proud of them and I’m very very proud of all the students at Whitney High School, the student section in the crowd was awesome. I’m so proud to be here, I’m so proud to be a part of Whitney,” French said.

French said the team now knows his expectations and that it has helped them become better.

“Their expectations are very high for themselves; they have just scratched the surface on the type of team they can be. We have a very long way to go, this is just one game. But I couldn’t be more proud [of the turn out],” French said.

Crowd member Kyla Baldavino felt that the game was intense.

“It kept the crowd on both sides cheering loud and on their feet. Both teams had amazing players that it honestly could’ve been anyone’s game, but Whitney came through because they gave 110 percent,” Baldavino said.

Baldavino felt the best part of the game was when Quinton made a dunk. Quinton used to play for Rocklin before transferring to Whitney.

“He was completely free and you would’ve thought he was just going to make an easy lay-up. But after Rocklin chanted ‘Traitor’, he just proved to them that he belongs at Whitney. That definitely shut them up,” Baldavino said.

The girls’ varsity basketball Quarry Classic takes place Dec. 16 at home.

by ARIELLA APPLEBY