Students discuss the hidden costs of driving

Student driver takes new standardized driver’s test in Casper Wyoming. (CC BY-ND 2.0)

After students receive their provisional licenses, many are eager to get behind the wheel of their own cars and experience the freedom of driving for themselves. However, there are many hidden costs associated with the activity that can be easily forgotten. From the cost of purchasing and maintaining a vehicle, to paying for gas and insurance, coupled with the risk of accidents, driving can be both very fun and very expensive.

“It’s not cheap, the expenses can add up very quickly. You have to pay for gas, insurance, and regular maintenance; it can get pretty overwhelming.”  said Spencer Kim.

Other students have problems purchasing their own cars, which puts an unfortunate limit on their already restricted driving freedoms.

“I’ve had my license for a couple of months already, but I don’t have my own car, so I can’t exactly go anywhere at any time,” said Naveen Kang.

Along with these various restrictions and expenses, new drivers also take on a whole host of new responsibilities. Students are usually held at least partially accountable for paying for gas, as well as insurance, making part time jobs less of an choice, and more of a necessity.

“Tutoring definitely helps me pay for gas and insurance, and as a bonus it also makes me more responsible and accountable,” said Kia Azar.

Azar also helps other tennis players like himself, by providing them transportation to their away matches.

“If their parents can’t drive them, I’m more than happy to. I’ve even taken up to four people at once,” Azar said.

While the new responsibilities and expenses that come with driving can seem a bit overwhelming at first, most students agree that it is both a rewarding and liberating experience.

by SPENCER SELTZER