Girls’ varsity basketball beats Rocklin in overtime

Coach Joel Williams talks to the team during a second quarter timeout. The girls rallied back from behind to win. Photo by Robert Parker.

An overtime victory against the crosstown rivals sounds like something out of a movie, but it happened here Dec. 14 as the girls’ varsity basketball team defeated Rocklin 62-54.

The Lady Wildcats led the first quarter 12-9, but Rocklin stole the lead and went to halftime with the score 24-17.

“(In the) second quarter, we didn’t come out strong out all. In the second quarter, we always fall behind and we just don’t play as a team,” Kristin Ladas said.

After halftime, Whitney fought back to come trail the Thunder by one point after the third quarter, making the score 32-31. After four quarters of regulation play, the game was tied 44-44, and went into an overtime period of four minutes.

“In the third quarter, I just got in my head and said ‘We’re not losing this game,’ and I stepped it up,” Ladas said.

Ladas scored five of the team’s 17 first half points, but, in the second half, scored 20 more points, seven of which came during overtime.

“The highlight of the game was Ladas’ ‘and one’ (in overtime). It really brought up the intensity,” Morgan Green said.

Green scored 19 points throughout the game, as well as seven in overtime. She and Ladas combined for 44 of the 62 points scored by the Wildcats and 14 of the 18 points scored in overtime.

“In the second half, we made a couple adjustments and the girls played really hard, I was really proud,” Coach Joel Williams said.

This was a big victory for the Lady Wildcats in the eyes of the players and coaches.

“Hopefully we can use this as a catalyst. We have these kinds of games that are very emotional wins that teach you a lot. Hopefully it will be something that can inspire the girls,” Williams said.

After the win, the players celebrated movie-style by picking up one of their teammates and carrying her to the locker room, laughing and cheering the whole way.

“After we won, all the girls go and pick up Molly McConnell and everybody is smiling.That’s what it’s about,” Williams said.

The girls’ varsity team improves their record to 3-4 with the victory over Rocklin.

By ROBERT PARKER