Music is in the air at the sixth annual winter concert

Photo by Margaret Tinker

Sounds of violins, guitars and saxophones filled the air on Dec. 14 when parents and students joined together in the theater for the sixth annual winter concert put on by Mr. Kris Harper’s symphonic, jazz, orchestra and choir classes.

The concert opened with jazz band, a band formed this year by Daniella Banham, and lead into choir singing in the aisles for their opening song.

Choir performed four songs ending with “Christmas Comes Again” to go with the winter theme.

“I wasn’t nervous at all. The only thing I was worried about was how my dress looked since my mom had to safety pin it. I had to watch Mr. Harper to keep time but all in all I think it went very well,” Sammie Guthrie said.

After, the orchestra perfomed four songs starting with “Gloria in Excelsis Deo” then the concert ended with the symphonic band’s performance of “Stars and Stripes for Christmas”.

Since they had practiced for weeks, the minutes beforehand involved simple warm-ups but not much else.

“When I got to Whitney I unpacked my instrument and tuned it and practiced the parts I usually feel nervous about playing. Then I put it down and chillaxed. Stressing just makes it worse,” Savie Gamwell said.

All in all, the concert was very well put together and the theater was filled with holiday cheer.

By MARGARET TINKER