“Changing the Stigma” Whitney United assembly addresses student stress

Mike Veny will speak at the Whitney United assembly Dec. 20. A nationally-known health speaker, Veny will talk about his personal experiences and motivations that brought him to TEDx talks and inspirational speaking geared towards high school students.

Q: Why have you decided to dedicate your time to mental health presentations? How does drumming relate?

A: “When I was growing up, I struggled with mental health and behavioral challenges. Drumming was the one activity that focused me and helped me feel better. I decided to pursue a career as drummer in order to keep it in my life consistently. The main reason that I dedicate time to presentations is because it helps me to continue talking about it and discovering new ways to help myself succeed. Some of my presentations now include interactive drumming, too.”

Q: How does one become “America’s leading mental health speaker”?

A: “I actually never pursued being a mental health speaker as a career. It kind of fell in my lap. I had a mental health breakdown in 2011. I reached out to a professional for help– as all of us should do. Instead of referring me to a therapist or services, she invited me to be the speaker at her conference. I was reluctant at first and then realized that people wanted to hear me speak. Within one year of that I was traveling around the United States speaking at events. Nowadays, I maintain a busy schedule traveling to speak at schools, colleges, workplaces, and conferences.”

Q: What impact do you hope to have on the students?

A: “I hope that the students at Whitney High School get three things out of my presentation: One, the courage to talk to someone if they are struggling with a mental health issue. Two, simple tips for managing everyday stress. Three, understanding that it’s OK to not be OK sometimes.”

Q: What was your unique experience with TEDx talks and what stood out to you?

A: “Delivering my TEDx Talk was tough. I knew that it was being recorded and that the entire world would get to see it. Because it was a TEDx Talk, I felt like it held more weight than other talks that I have done. In all honesty, I crammed preparing for it and when I got on stage, all I could think about was being a kid in the fourth grade, in a mental hospital.”

Q: What is the leading cause of student stress, and how should it be addressed?

A: “In my opinion, it’s pressure– pressure to succeed, pressure to fit in, pressure to feel good about yourself.”

Q: Is there else about you or your presentation you would like students to know before Tuesday?

A: “I love California and I am really excited to be back to speak here. I haven’t been to Northern California in years and being here has brought up a lot of memories. My parents sent me to the Bay area for a week during the summer between my junior and senior years of high school. During that week, I went to a jazz camp to study music. I met some of the greatest people and fell in love with the West Coast.”