‘Thor’ adds to the Avengers plot

Thor picture provided by Paramount Studios

In “Thor,” the warrior (Chris Hemsworth) of Asgard has provoked an ancient war with the Frost Giants and King Odin (Anthony Hopkins) punishes Thor by striping him of his powers and casting him down to Earth. Landed in the desert of New Mexico, Thor is hit by a car driven by Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings), and Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard). As the film develops, several plot lines arise. The realm of Asgard is taken over by Loki (Tom Hiddleston), Thor’s brother and the god of mischief, and begins to drive Asgard downward. On earth, Thor encounters a Destroyer sent by Loki and proves himself worthy of returning to Asgard again. As well as, S.H.I.E.L.D., a government agency that deals with terrorism and superhuman threats, studies Jane Foster’s research on Thor.

Overall, the film was not a complete disappointment. The film excelled on information on Norse mythology and a great plot-line to go with the Avenger series. The cast was a good choice, besides Dennings. It may have just been me, but she needs to keep her snarky one-liners in her C-listed indie movies. Hemsworth and Hiddleston surpassed the god roles that they could just jump up to Heaven and begin ruling.

As for the series of Avenger movies from Marvel, “Thor” was a great addition and began to put pieces together. Back-stories from the series were addressed such as S.H.I.E.L.D.’s interaction with Bruce Banner/Hulk, explained by Selvig, and the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents bring up Tony Stark/Iron Man. Also, a cameo from Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent is left as a cliffhanger.

“Thor” is a must-see if you are a follower of the Avengers and plan on seeing the upcoming movies such as “Captain America” in the summer and “The Avengers” next year. Also, don’t forget to stay after the credits for an extra surprise scene that will get you stoked for “Captain America.”

By AMY LU