‘Man On a Ledge’ keeps you on edge

PHOTO: Fair use of movie photo courtesy of Man On a  Ledge Official Site.

“I will leave this world how I entered it: innocent.”

Nick Cassidy, ingeniously played by Sam Worthington, scribbles this onto a note just before he climbs out onto the ledge of a New York City hotel. Under the disguise name of Mr. Walker, Cassidy is a runaway con man who is planning the ultimate diamond heist to prove his innocence in the PG-13 thriller “Man on a Ledge.”

Called to the scene of the the potential jumper is female psychologist Lydia Mercer (Elizabeth Banks), who was personally requested by Cassidy himself. She was currently off the rotation due to a horrible mishap one month prior when she could not prevent a young officer from taking the leap to death off the bridge. Mercer and Cassidy seem to spark a romantic connection and once Mercer discovers his true identity, will she stick by the conman who declares his innocence to the world or turn him over to be killed? You’ll have to watch to find out.

In the meantime, Nick is in constant contact with his little brother, Joey, and his beautiful girlfriend, Angie, who are executing his plan for the ultimate heist. It required precise planning to break into one of the highly secure building in New York City; one small mistake or split up and the plan comes crashing down and all three of them end up in jail.

Nick Cassidy was ruled guilty for stealing from greedy and power hungry David Englander. Stealing what? Only the most beloved and expensive diamond in the world – the Monarch Diamond. It was said that Cassidy had crushed into millions of pieces and sold them all, never to be found.

Yet Cassidy still proclaims his innocence.

“I’m innocent! I’m INNOCENT!” Nick Cassidy proclaims to the gathering crowd below him.

All in all, this film keeps you guessing and on the edge of your seat.For example, Nick Cassidy threatens to jump at any given moment and Angie and Joey nearly caught at three different parts of the film. Talk about heart palpitations!

Sam Worthington keeps you believing in him and rooting for Nick Cassidy the whole way through. The passionate belief in his innocence, the willingness to die innocent, was moving. Angie (Genesis Rodriguez) and Joey (Jamie Bell) provide lighthearted comedy during the intensity of the film, whereas Ed Harris proves to be the perfect candidate for David Englander, truly portraying an evil, power-hungry and ruthless CEO.

With the intensity and vertigo inducing effect as “Mission – Impossible: Ghost Protocol” and the ingenious heist planning of “Tower Heist” mixed in with the values of standing up for yourself and the values of family and trust, “Man on a Ledge” is a must-see film of 2012.

By KAT NHAM