New teacher Nicole Ferguson adjusts to new campus

Ms. Nicole Ferguson helps Branden Del Pape with his history homework on Nov. 7. Photo by ASHLEY RAYNES

“I’ve wanted to be a history teacher ever since I was a kid. My favorite subject in school was history,” world and U.S. history teacher Ms. Nicole Ferguson said.

As a new addition to the school, Ferguson brings her set of teaching skills to the staff.

“This is my first year teaching as an actual teacher. I student taught at Oakmont,” Ferguson said.

For Ferguson, getting used to the traditions, class schedules, and other school activities that surround her every day takes time.

“In class, it’s easy. It’s getting to know all of the traditions, like intervention,” Ferguson said.

Since the school has over 1900 students this year, some teachers have been assigned to teach multiple overcrowded classes. Many teachers are required to move classrooms throughout the day to fit with the scheduling of other teachers.

“Moving from class to class is difficult. I have four classrooms. I teach world and U.S. history along with cheer after school everyday. I am also the freshman class advisor,” Ferguson said.

Not only is Ferguson a full-time teacher, but she keeps busy with the cheer squad everyday after school.

“My cheer team makes me feel like a part of a family. The (other) teachers are also extremely nice and helpful.” Ferguson said. “I just love getting to know the kids more. Especially when they tell me their stories. The way they talk just makes me smile.”

Junior Anna Risucci, a student in Ferguson’s eighth period class, acknowledges Ferguson’s acclamation to the school.

“For a new teacher, I think she’s doing really well,” Risucci said. “She does a very good job at explaining the material. She answers any questions we have, no matter what it is, but the way she explains it is better than other teachers.”

Considering the growing class sizes, new teachers seem to adjust well to the overpopulated classrooms.

“There are very few disruptive students, at least in our class,” Risucci said.

Controlling the class and individual students can be a large obstacle for incoming teachers to an overpopulated school.

“She’s doing pretty well. She knows how to control the class,” Ferguson’s student Branden Del Pape said.

As students learn more about Ferguson, students seem to respond well to her teaching style, despite her novice teaching experience.

“She answers all questions in detail to help us really understand it,” Del Pape said.

by ASHLEY RAYNES