‘Hotel Transylvania’ isn’t as ‘spooktacular’ as expected

Count Dracula (Adam Sandler) worries about his daughter Mavis (Selena Gomez) as she gets ready to explore the world.
Photo from “Hotel Transylvania” Official Website, used with permission under fair use.

Living in a haunted castle surrounded by a haunted forest and a cemetery for the undead; who wants that life? Well, Mavis Dracula has been living this life for the past 118 years.

In the latest Halloween movie, “Hotel Transylvania,” Count Dracula has made a sanctuary where all monsters can be safe from humans and so he can also protect his only daughter, Mavis.

This movie gives the audience a chance to look at a monster’s perspective of humans. Despite this unique idea, this movie did not meet my expectations. Filled with childish immature jokes and references to the famous “Twilight,” I feel that this movie was a one time deal for me.

“Hotel Transylvania” revolves around Count Dracula’s efforts to protect his free-spirited daughter and other monsters from the deadly humans. Count Dracula,voiced by Adam Sandler, works hard in order to keep Mavis, voiced by Selena Gomez, from exploring the outside world.

With her 118th birthday coming, Dracula’s friends Wayne and Wanda Wolf, voiced by Steve Buscemi and Molly Shannon, Frankenstein and his wife Eunice, voiced by Kevin James and Fran Drescher, Murray the Mummy, voiced by CeeLo Green, and Griffin the Invisible Man, voiced by David Spade, come together in order to celebrate.

But problems start brewing when Jonathan a human, voiced by Andy Samberg, appears at the hotel.

Throwing Count Dracula into a panic, he tries to hide Jonathan and keep him from being revealed as a human. The whole movie revolves around the many conflicts between Count Dracula and Jonathan and the secrets that have been keeping Mavis hidden in a castle.

The movie, which creeped into theaters on Sept. 28, is rated PG and is a “comedic” family film released by Sony animation and directed by Genndy Tartakovsky. However considering it a comedic family film seems to be a stretch for this Halloween film.

The newest addition to Halloween animation films will not please people of all ages. With classics like Tim Burton’s “Nightmare Before Christmas” and “Hocus Pocus,” I feel that this movie does not meet my expectations.

The movie attempts to please people of many different age groups, but, considering it being rated PG, it had many references that young children couldn’t understand, such as short segments from “Twilight” which included when Bella and Edward were in the forest and so on.

It also had many immature childish jokes, such as when the cook Quasimodo, voiced by Jon Lovitz, had a finger up his nose and when Frankenstein farted behind Murray to make it look like he farted.

The trailer also reveals a bit too much; by the time the movie started it was like watching the trailer itself, just 50 something minutes longer.

This movie also failed to entertain all age groups with barely any laughter filling the theater. I just feel that Sony Animation could have done a better job with the movie. Considering its impressive filmography in movies such as “Open Season,” “Surf’s Up” and “The Smurfs.” Not to mention director Genndy Tartakovsky’s many famous cartoons such as “The Powerpuff Girls,” “Samurai Jack” and “Dexter’s Labratory.”

I feel that this movie is a pass and that the money can be better spent on a different movie.

Despite the story being a different view on monsters with an impressive cast, I feel that this movie was a one time deal and that Sony Animation and Tartakovsky could have done a better job with the movie, considering their other successful filmography. This movie was not as spooktacular as expected and would not be on my Halloween movie list.

by THERESA KIM