Crowds at lunch affect students in different ways

Students spend time outside during lunch. Photo by SELENA CERVANTES

The bell rings and thousands of students flood the amphitheater and rush to get a place in the lunch line.

This school was originally built to accommodate 1700 to 1800 students; the school now has over 1900 students. The crowds at lunch make it hard to get lunch and many students are finding that it is too crowded to find a place to sit.

“The lunch lines are really long and the food sucks so I just bring my lunch,” freshman Brittney Brown said.

Not only are the lines long, some students also believe that the lunch area is too overcrowded.

“They should allow students to be able to roam campus at lunch as long as they are not out of the school perimeter,” junior Christian Ball said.

Compared to other high schools’ lunch periods, because there is only one lunch period here compared to two, crowds are greater since the area has almost double the students all at one time.

“Our lunch period is about 30 minutes and intervention is 20 minutes. We have about 1100 students per lunch and our lunch period is determined by who our third period teacher is,” Woodcreek student Alycia Murphy said.

Woodcreek isn’t the only school that splits up lunch periods.

“The high school, Bellevue East, that I went to before I moved here only had 1400 students and four different lunch periods. Lunch lasted for 45 minutes and the lines were shorter,” Ball said.

by SELENA CERVANTES