’42’ lives up to the Jackie Robinson legacy

Photo from the “42” official website, used with permission under fair use.

42, is an epic sports movie about overcoming adversity in the face of a challenge and it offers viewers a moving story in just over two hours. 42 came out on April 12, 2013 and runs for 128 minutes.

42 is rated PG-13 because of thematic elements and some language. However people of all ages can enjoy the excitement of baseball and the greater message behind the whole movie.

42 is about Jackie Robinson, an African American baseball player who transcends all racial boundaries and social norms in order to play the game he loves. This movie follows him on his journey to becoming the first African American professional baseball player. It follows him from the minor league to his first season with the Brooklyn Dodgers under the guidance of Branch Rickey, the president of the Dodgers.

The story takes place in the 1940s but mainly focuses on the 1947 season. Robinson is offered a chance to play on the minor league team the Montreal. After proving himself he is offered a position on the Dodgers. Robinson faces the challenge of his teammates refusing to play with him along with taunting from the media and other teams.They told him that because of the color of his skin he was not allowed to play on the same team as whites because he was not good enough. But he ultimately inspires the white men on his team to stand up for something and to not be cowardly when doing the right thing. He took everything in stride because he knew he was a symbol of something far greater than the game of baseball. In the end Robinson rises above everything and becomes a symbol of hope and change.

42 was written and directed by Brian Helgelan. Helgelan began his career as a writer and director in 1988 with A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master. Since then he has written and directed various movies and TV shows.

Chradwick Boseman portrayed Jackie Robinson and his performance was sensational. Boseman has guest starred in many TV shows over the years however 42 was his first major role. His acting career began in 2003 and has made slow progress until now.42 is possibly his breakout role into greater future projects. His portrayal of Robinson was phenomenal and I believe we will be seeing a lot more of Boseman in the future.

Harrison Ford portrayed Branch Rickey the president of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Ford did an excellent job portraying a man who was hoping to change the tides. Ford has been acting since 1966 and is best known for his roles in Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Robinson was a beacon for hope and symbol of the better things that are yet to come. He represented all of those people who have been pushed down, beaton or treated unfairly. He was not only a symbol of change in America but a call for an era, a call for action. Robinson became an icon of the racial movement and a hero to those who have been oppressed. He was not only inspirational to fellow African Americans, but to all who watched baseball. He inspired people to rise above and become better and to make a change. Robinson’s goal was not to be a hero or a symbol of something much more, he just wanted to be a good man who played baseball. But in his triumphs and even in his darkest hours he was more than a simple man, he was everything to African Americans.

This movie did a wonderful job portraying the struggles that Robinson went thought and his inspiration to people around the world. Baseball fans will love the action and excitement this movie offers, but it was so much more. It was a message that transcends every genre, age, race, sex,country, language and barrier. it was a movie that can inspire hope in every person in the audience.

The movie 42 based on the life of Jackie Robinson is for sure one of the best sports movies of all time, but also one of the overall greatest movies of all time.

by ASHLEE REMINGTON