‘Jurassic Park’ reanimated in 3D

Photo from the “Jurassic Park 3D” official website used with permission under fair use.

Back and better than ever in a remastered 3D format, “Jurassic Park” hit theaters April 5. The movie has captured the imaginations of audiences since its initial release in 1993 and continues to do so in its newest form. Most notably, the 3D experience brings this classic thriller to a whole new level of enjoyment. The familiar, enjoyable plot and characters truly complete the aura indicative of such a era defining ‘90s movie.

IMAX 3D remastering has brought this film further than fans and moviegoers could have imagined at the time of its release. Fangs glistening, claws protruding, the 3D Tyrannosaurus Rex bursts from the screen in all of its majesty and terror. The picture quality is significantly more beautiful and clear with this remaster. The 3D effects enhance everything from the terror of the velociraptors to the breathtaking jungle landscapes. The effects, however, are not in-your-face and overbearing as in some of today’s action thriller flicks. They are subtle yet noticeable and effective in creating a new depth and feel in the movie. Even if you have seen this movie before, it is an experience watching it once more in 3D.

“Jurassic Park”, based on the novel by Michael Crichton, brings to light the dangerous clash between nature’s uncontainable might and man’s unrelenting scientific pursuits to conquer it. When scientists find a way to reanimate dinosaurs from fragments of DNA encased in fossilized mosquitos, millionaire John Hammond (Richard Attenborough) passionately erects an island amusement park dedicated to displaying these beasts to the world. Forced to settle legal disputes about the safety of the park, he calls upon the taciturn and cautious archeologist Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill), his feminist partner and love interest Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern), and the witty and sardonic scientist Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) to tour his facility and offer their opinions. This odd group, accompanied by Hammock’s nephew and niece, are in for the ride of their life when the park begins to fail and the dangerous reality of nature’s power becomes clear. The themes of ethical science and altering nature are emphasized heavily. Humanity’s elaborate efforts to contain its surrounds and play god ultimately fall apart and turn against humanity. As Dr. Malcolm comments, “life finds a way.”

This movie is directed and produced by the legendary Steven Spielberg and is his highest grossing movie of his entire career. It is a three-time Academy Award winner and is widely recognized as having given birth to computer generated animation in movies, making it a very influential movie of the ‘90s generation . It runs for 2 hours and 7 minutes. Although it’s rated PG-13 for some intense scenes of science fiction terror, this movie can be suitable for any age since walking dinosaurs tend to capture children’s imaginations. Dr. Malcolm’s constant humor and quotable one-liners are very entertaining and add a witty element that older audiences can enjoy. One of the greatest and most iconic elements of the film, the soundtrack, composed, conducted and produced by renowned composer John Williams (“Star Wars”, “Jaws”, “Indiana Jones”, “E.T”. and many other movie soundtracks), is absolutely astonishing and undeniably magnificent. The orchestra’s performance during grand melody mirrors the majesty of the incredible walking dinosaurs. A truly unforgettable movie now in a stunning 3D format, Jurassic Park is a nostalgic thrill ride for older audiences and an essential discovery for the new generations.