Rising star Becca performs live

Becca performs in the theatre on March 5. Photo by Elyssa Seals.
    Rebecca Emily Hollcraft, AKA Becca Chan, AKA Becca, enters the theatre with her acoustic guitar. Her ensemble consists of a black and white zig-zag patterned dress, a red sweater wrap, a black and green plaid crinoline skirt, red and black vertically striped leggings and combat boots strapped with mixed-matched shoelaces. Somehow, she pulls it off extremely well.

It’s rare that pop stars show up in Rocklin, but here she is with her crew and their instruments. She walks up to the microphone and speaks. Her tone seems shy, but her wit brings out her confidence. She looks out into the crowd of students and starts to strum her guitar. You can catch a glimpse of the ladybug tattoo on her arm. A powerhouse voice comes out and fills the humble WHS theatre. The show has begun. Her live acoustic set during first block on March 5 included five songs from Alive!, which was released last week. She played “Perfect Me,” “Guilty Pleasure,” “Shibuya,” “Turn to Stone” and “I’m Alive.”

Becca knew she loved to sing since she was a toddler. But joining a choir when she was a teenager brought out her love of music . She decided to learn to play the guitar and started writing songs. Then, at age 14, she made a demo, which she sent to Meredith Brooks upon recommendation of a mutual friend. A star was born.

Her music, which is a mix of rock and pop, is starting to make waves in America, but got its big break in Japan.

“Japan is the inspiration for my outfits. When I went to Harajuku and saw all the girls over there, I saw so much crazy clothing! Once, I dressed up in a Hello Kitty costume when I was there. I don’t want to try to be like Lolita or anything specific, but I like to appreciate other people’s styles,” Becca said.

Japan is so inspiring to her that she even wrote a song about Japan, called “Shibuya.” which has Japanese phrases throughout it.

Music scouts from Sony Japan attended a showcase in America at which she was performing. They liked her and could tell that people in Japan would, too. Not too long afterward, she gained popularity there, releasing multiple albums and touring.

“Performing in America is different, because this is my home. This is what I really want to do. I want to release in America. Japan was an extra special treat, but it means so much more to me to release in America,” Becca said.

People tend to compare her to other American artists like Hayley Williams from Paramore or Avril Lavigne, because they have similar styles and voices. Becca said she takes the comparison as a compliment, but doesn’t personally like comparing herself to other artists. She said she’s out there to be unique.

“I’m influenced by a lot of the female artists from the 80s like Cyndi Lauper and Joan Jett, and other strong females,” Becca said.

As she’s gaining popularity in America, she’s living out her dreams. Having her new CD, Alive!!, out and getting to meet all of her fans has been a blessing in her eyes.

“To meet new fans and see that people appreciate what I love doing is the best part of all,” Becca said.

Over time, she’s gotten to perform with lots of famous singers and amazing performers. Her favorite concert venue was Oklahoma Stadium, which can hold up to 75,000 in the audience. And though she’s had some embarrassing mishaps at shows, such as almost falling because of a slippery stage, she’s loving everything she’s doing.

“I’d love to tour with Blue October. And maybe I could make it work with them. That would be really fun,” Becca said. “Traveling and visiting schools is a great way to get myself out there and be in front of my target audience. But later on this year, I will be on with a bigger band and we’ll tour around.”

Her main target audience is teenagers. Becca said that starting her music career at such a young age made it difficult for her to have a normal life as a teen, but she still understands the trials and tribulations a regular teen has to go through.

“I moved away. I lost all my friends. I was working at 14 to accomplish things. I sacrificed a normal life. My high school experience wasn’t as good as it could have been. People can be mean when they’re jealous, or whatever. I wanted to reach out to high school kids because music is what got me through high school, and motivated me, so maybe my music can motivate others,” Becca said.

But through and through, she’s still strong.

“My personal experiences are inspiration for my music. Music is my therapy. If I’m in a terrible mood, I will write a song, because it’s the only thing that makes me feel better,” Becca said.

She’s shown a lot of strength and perseverance over time. Though she’s had to miss out on some time with her family, and getting to have a normal adolescence, she’s making the best of her time.

“My advice for any aspiring musicians is that, as an artist, there’s never too much you can do. You should be performing constantly and be willing to accept criticism. But don’t let it stop you. Let it motivate you. It’s all about being involved. But a lot of it is about sacrifice and what you’re willing to give up in order to accomplish something. It’s a lot of hard work because it’s not an everyday thing. It takes a lot of motivation,” Becca said.

As she gains popularity and moves on to bigger concert venues, she still holds the same positive attitude she’s had from the start. Her incredibly positive attitude  is shown through her lyrics.

In the often negative storm of adolescence, it’s refreshing to listen to such an optimistic voice telling listeners to get out of bed and live life to the fullest.

By SYDNEY RODRIGUERA