Class of 2017 are welcomed with open arms

Incoming freshman line up to turn in their emergency forms photo by SAVANNAH HOUDEK

The sun blazed down on campus on Friday morning around 10 a.m. It seemed as if millions of ants were milling around. However, these weren’t ants. They were the new freshman. Freshman orientation had officially begun. Expecting zombie-like students, because of their early arrival on campus at seven o’clock. The freshman were surprisingly wide awake, walking, and laughing with their Shout leaders.

Chosen last spring, Shout leaders are seniors, who had to help the newbies settle into the big high school life. They toured the campus, played icebreakers to help students meet each other, and answered any questions.

“I wanted to be a Shout leader because my mentor was really boring and didn’t really give me any good advice about high school so I wanted to do a better job for these up and coming freshman!” senior Riley Wynne said.

Seemingly, Wynne and the other mentors did a good job on making the new students feel comfortable and ready to take on the new year.

“I kind of expected it to be boring, but it was actually pretty fun to meet new people and walk around the campus,” freshman Alyssa King said.

Looking around,  the freshmen seemed to be lively and prepared.

“I guess I’m ready for the most part.  I’m just not ready to get up early, that’s for sure!” said King.

Finally, the first day of school rolled around. Mobs of students flooded the campus rushing to their classes. Freshman being the ones with the most frightened faces and quick pace.

Freshman Matt Sanchez said. “Orientation sort of helped me to just get an idea of what buildings my classes would be but I still got lost.”

by SAVANNAH HOUDEK