Girls’ varsity basketball beats Rocklin for first time

For the first time in 3 visits, the girls’ varsity basketball team pulled a victory against Rocklin on Wednesday, Dec. 16. The score was 50-45.
Before the game even started, the girls were ready to fight.
“We went into their P.E. classroom and locked the doors so the coaches couldn’t come in. We started singing a bunch of songs that everyone knows, like ‘We Will Rock You’ and just pumped ourselves up and got rid of the jitters,” Ann Diep said.
However, this team bondage did not help in the first half. The girls were outscored 24-20 in the first half and gave up quick leads in the first and second quarter. The girls came back, outscoring Rocklin in the second half 30-21.
In the fourth quarter, the girls were down 41-36 with seven minutes left when Coach Williams called a timeout. Alex Rodriguez, a sophomore, was subbed into the game a minute later. Kristina Fahey, a senior, dominated late, bringing the teams to a tie at 43 with 2:30 left.
Rodriguez received her fifth foul, and thus was taken out of the game. Fahey was then moved to post, which she has never played before. The team switched to an “all-guard offense” and gradually pulled away with the lead.
“I was very proud of the girls. They had plenty of opportunities to get frustrated and let up, but they maintained their focus and gave a great effort,” Head Coach Joel Williams said.
Fahey led the team with 17 points, six rebounds and two blocked shots. Freshman Kristin Ladas pitched in with 13 points, three steals, and four assists.
The girls moved to 6-2 on the season with the win and play Johnson tonight at 7. Over break they will compete at the Folsom Bulldog Winter Invitational on Dec. 28-31.

By ROBERT PARKER