ROTC cadets earn aeronautical training

The AFJROTC patch that all ROTC students wear on their uniforms symbolizes aerospace and knowledge. Photo by SHAI NIELSON

From uniforms to drill meets, badges to ribbons, cadet to colonel, ROTC is not what some may think it is.

“In ROTC (you) learn self discipline and a little more patience in life. To me, it means hard work and dedication,” cadet captain Andrew Huie said.

The ROTC program, which stands for Reserve Officer Training Corps, helps students looking into careers involving the military or space. The various classes are drill, private pilot and aerospace science. Aerospace science is the normal class ROTC students take and has four levels, one for each year of high school: AS-1 through AS-4.

Though some believe its primary reason is preparation for the military, ROTC actually focuses mainly on aeronautical subjects. Cadet captain Molly Miles aspires to become an astronaut after her studies in ROTC and the Air Force Academy.

“(ROTC) gives you career skills and teaches leadership. Just because you are in it doesn’t mean you have to go into the military,” Miles said.

Classes like drill can be taken as a PE credit for ROTC students, and those in the class get to compete in two drill competitions each year. Push-ups, sit-ups, lunges and running are all part of physical training in drill, as well as working with Springfield rifles.

“I’m in drill to be the elite and learn how to improve my drilling and commanding skills. I like the fact that we do nothing but drill the whole period ,” Huie said.

ROTC cadets wear various badges and ribbons on their uniforms that indicate their rank, what activities they are involved in, like model rocketry or Kitty Hawk Air Society, and those in private pilot class can display their wings.

“Wearing the uniform makes you feel like you are a part of something,” Miles said.

But ROTC is not just about guns and the badges, it is also about having fun and connecting with other students.

“We have all these sport events and competitions with other ROTC units in other schools,” Miles said.

These contests get the students involved in sports like volleyball and basketball, and they can have a good time with fellow classmates and people from local schools. Our students have won these tournaments multiple times and have won trophies in basketball.

ROTC is preparation for the future, just like most other elective classes offered here. The program provides access to knowledge needed to accomplish dreams.

By SHAI NIELSON