See You At The Pole

Together, heads down, more than 40 students surrounded the flag pole with the same intent. For those students on Sept. 22 the school day began at 7 a.m. with this year’s See You at the Pole, an opportunity for Christan students to pray together. See You At the Pole is a global event that began in 1990 where every fourth Wednesday of September, students all over the world can gather together to pray around the school flag pole before the traditional school day begins. Over the years, the event spread simply through word of mouth. At WHS, the group, supervised by Mr. Jon Bryant, circled the pole, offering praise and praying for themselves and others.

“This was my first year [participating], and I really enjoyed it,” sophomore Muriah Bicking said.

She participated in the See You at the Pole event outside the administration building, where students and teachers alike connected. Participation wasn’t restricted to any particular group of people. While some students present were regular United club members, others were new to the idea, and the represented all types of church-goers.

“At first I went to church as a little kid, but then stopped. My brother and I realized how much fun we used to have, and we wanted God back in our lives,” Bicking said.

Here, SYATP was spread mostly through texts and social sites such as Facebook. Bryant, the sponsor of the United club on campus, organized the event with the club members. The event is done nationwide.

As they were gathered around in prayer, most of the students had their eyes closed and heads bowed, and just a few had their heads up and hands open to the sky. Others were looking around, as if just checking out what exactly was going on. Some students passing by joined the gathering, dropping their bags and silently joining the circle. The group seemed to be unaffected by the surrounding environment as curious students observed and wondered what the event was all about. As Bryant walked away with another teacher, students continued taking turns in prayer, only interrupted by the bell sending everyone to first period.

By: Chloe McCrossen and Ellis Holdsworth