Overtime leads to girls’ water polo victory

IMG_9891      Splash, goal, and the crowd goes wild. That’s the sound of victory at the pool!

On Oct. 6, the girls’ varsity water polo team held its own against Woodcreek and battled into overtime.

“It was a tough game, Woodcreek is a good team, however we’re better and could have played better, but overall it ended pretty well with a win for us,” varsity player Rachel Holes said.

The water polo team took the win with a score of 9-8 but not before the fans were brought to their feet.

“It’s basically tied the entire game, and then it goes into overtime. We’re counting down ’til the buzzer rings, and from the half-way mark, Stephanie Grover shoots it insanely, scoring the winning point!” Senior Jessica Tucci said.

So that’s how it ends; a shot from the half line closes the battle between the schools. However, this was not the first time the water polo team claimed a win. They are 7 and 1 for the 2009 season and are currently second in league.

“In league, we’ve only lost one game, to Granite Bay in the last one and a half minutes.  We’ve lost a couple games in tournaments,” Colleen Daley said.

As Daley mentioned, the girls have also competed in many tournaments this year.

“We’ve done pretty well, I think, placing in the top 10 for all of them. At the Woodcreek one, we placed second for our division,” Holes said.

The players are claiming victories no matter where they go. Their strong season has made Holes and Daley enjoy the sport.

“I love water polo because it is a competitive and challenging sport. It also kind of combines two of the sports I like: soccer and swimming!” Holes said.

“I think water polo’s an awesome game. I like to swim and this sport includes not only swimming, but playing with a team as well, versus swimming just individually,” said Daley.

The next match for the girls is against El Camino at WHS on Oct. 9, where they will fight for a win.

By SARAH TUCCI