Powder puff teams practice for Monday Night Football

Mrs. Lindsay Atlas coaches up the girls during practice. Photo by Britney Donati.

“I want quarterback!”, ” I want to be on the offense!”, “I want to be the one that gets hurt the least,” they said.

Crowded around a group of desks, the sophomore powder puff players were in Ms. Suzie Main’s history classroom, selecting their desired positions on the team. They came in during lunch and signed up on a piece of paper, telling the sophomore class advisers what kind of sports they had played.
     Powder puff: A tradition for our school, since the school had opened, beginning on the Monday night of Homecoming Week, Oct. 19- 23. The girls and boys have reversed the roles, and now the girls are the ones playing on the football field while the guys are cheering the girls on. Each class has their own team, and the freshmen are going against the sophomores while the juniors are against the seniors.
     But it’s different from the traditional football games because while the boys have tackle football, the girls play flag football. Students joined in with hopes of their class winning and having the opportunity to brag about their win. But it’s not all about winning.
     “I joined it because people who played last year said it was really fun and worth it and it’ll be awesome going to practices with my friends,” Alexis Wrate said.
However, practices on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week had been cancelled due to rain, and Wrate doesn’t feel prepared.
     “Yeah, hopefully we’ll be ready by Monday, but we have Thurday and Friday to practice,” Wrate said.
     And the practices will be very helpful to some students who have not had much practice in the football department, because they will be learning different plays, and how to throw the football. And catch.
     “I’m not really great at throwing footballs, but I want to learn how so we can beat the freshmen,” Jennifer Golditch said.
      As Monday creeps up, the tension builds up in anticipation for the Monday night football game.
     “I don’t have any plans. Just to get out there and win!” Golditch said.
By ANJELICA CARPIO-NOVOA