Candles cure the winter blahs

The shelf of candles at Bath and Body Works is full of incredible scents. Photo by SHAI NIELSON.

Whether it be to de-stress, get rid of the stench of a smelly room, or find a gift for a teacher, candles are the answer.

Candles are great gifts to show teachers how much they are appreciated. The fresh scents can also make any dirty room, even if it doesn’t look clean, smell amazing. And school can be stressful, but the right candle can calm your body and reduce the everyday stress while doing homework, taking a shower, or just relaxing.

During these cold, foggy times, winter candles are perfect for beating the gloom of winter. Their scents can sooth and bring out the best of winter even with spring around the corner.

Bath and Body Works in the Galleria now has all of their winter candles on sale. The smallest size fits in the palm of your hand and was $9.50, but is now 50 percent off. Similarly, the larger candles, about the size of a large softball, were $19.50, and are now also 50 percent off.

Some of the scents include:

Homemade Cookies-
This candle has a sweet vanilla and sugar scent that almost smells like cake batter ice cream from Coldstone Creamery. It can be overly sweet but brings back memories of making Christmas cookies. The color of this candle is a cake batter cream color.

Winter-
With a burst of freshness, this candle has a refreshing scent with a hint of evergreen trees. It is pure white in coloring and will fill any house with the smells of the holiday season.

Spice-
This one smells like a strong cinnamon gum and is kind of over powering. It is spicy to the nose but will remind many of winter with its cranberry red coloring.

Cinnamon and Clove Buds-
This candle has quite a resemblance to Spice, with a much less overpowering smell. There is a sweet twinge of clove that creates a soothing smell and is a dark, less vibrant red.

Twisted Peppermint-
Lighting this candle will expose the basic aroma of peppermint, yet also a sweet bit of sugar. Contrary to what one may think, this candle is a creamy white color.

Creamy Nutmeg-
The sweet nutty scent is almost like a cookie, but soft enough to relax the nose and the body. It is a creamy white color and would fit in any home décor.

Fresh Balsam-
It is fresh and cool like Winter, and brings back memories of picking out the Christmas tree in a snowy forest. The white color almost catches one off guard as to what the candle actually smells like.

Pumpkin Patch-
Though this is more of a fall scent, it does smell like pumpkins pies eaten in the winter, perhaps too many pies being made all at once. It has an unexpected sweet smell and is a bright fall orange color.

Evergreen-
Christmas trees and wreaths both come to mind after one sniff of this candle. It is refreshingly pleasant and not over bearing. The color is a dulled green, to match its scent of green trees.

Vanilla Bean Noel-
A faint sweet smell fills the air with this candle. It is soft and pleasant with its simple white color.

Vanilla Caramel-
This is a candle for the sugar enthusiasts. To some it may smell extremely overbearingly sweet with its excessive caramel scent; It is about 20 times the smell of a Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks and is a creamy white color.

Cranberry Woods-
Dull cranberry red in coloring, this candle has a sweet and fruity scent, yet is faint enough to be relaxing. It almost smells like massaging oils used to calm someone who is getting a massage.

Midnight Pomegranate-
It is faint and sweet but has a dull springy scent as if the hopes of tomorrow are yet to come. The light, frothy pink coloring is a nice transition from winter into spring.

All of these incredible scents come in either the small or larger candle size, and both sizes and all colors fit perfectly in any home.

By SHAI NIELSON & EMMA RICHIE