Foods can comfort you during the harsh winters

Photo Illustration by Gabbi Forrest

Top Ramen has always been a quirky, cheap food many college kids survive on. The warm, incredibly salty broth and yummy noodles make for a perfect winter comfort food, but eventually, the cheap treat will get monotonous. Here are some other yummy but affordable comfort foods to keep you from getting the winter blahs.

Kraft Mac and Cheese has always been a favorite of many adolescents. The cheesy sauce and perfectly al dente noodles make for a ideal night in. You can even get shaped noodles, satisfying your “SpongeBob,” “Blues Clues,” or “Toy Story” craving. Try something new and tasty by cutting up hot dogs and adding it, adding bacon, or using shell pasta and white cheddar instead of elbow noodles and orange cheddar.

Then, there’s the oh-so-wonderful combo straight from your childhood memories; tomato soup and grilled cheese. Whether you’re a dipper or eat them separately, the pair is perfect. The thick, creamy texture of the soup and the crunchy and gooey texture of the grilled cheese melts in your mouth, satisfying your taste buds fully. For even more amazing taste, put Kraft Mac and Cheese and ribs in the toast instead of cheese.

And then the mother of all that is holy: s’mores. With just some usual household ingredients, you can make the most amazing treat your mouth will ever encounter. Since it’s too chilly to roast marshmallows over the traditional campfire, you can stay warm inside and roast it over a stove with a wooden skewer. Roast the marshmallow to your liking, perfectly golden and toasty, or black on the outside and super-gooey inside. Mix it up by using cookies instead of graham cracker, Nutella spread instead of chocolate, or try Jet-Puffed Toasted Coconut Marshmallows instead of regular ones. This delicious twist on the famous treat will leave you begging for s’more.

By AMY LU & GABBI FORREST