Filed under ON CAMPUS, Showcase

Mrs. Sherry Mauser to become an elementary school teacher

Mrs. Sherry Mauser drives her golf cart around campus at lunch. Photo by Emma Kachmar

As she rides around campus in her maroon golf cart, she reminisces the memories of her 12 years here. When she is done supervising students, she arrives back to her office, with walls covered in the awards she collected throughout her great career in education. Although she has been a part of the Wildcat family since it was established in 2005, Mrs. Sherry Mauser will be leaving the school to teach fourth grade at Antelope Creek Elementary School.

As a young girl, Mauser dreamed of being a doctor, a veterinarian and a pilot. However, she had a change of heart during college.

“I got married when I was 20 and then I started to pursue my college degree for business and teaching was not in the scope of what I wanted to do. I thought ‘Why am I fighting this? Everyone in my family is involved in education.’ So I went back to school, got my teaching credential and then started working up here. I’ve never regretted it,” Mauser said.

She began her career as a substitute teacher and on her very first day took three kindergarten classes to the Folsom Dam powerhouse. She prides herself on never backing down from a challenge, although the kinds of challenges have changed over the years.

As an assistant principal, Mauser has regularly dealt with disciplinary situations. Her philosophy is to give consequences that are in the best interest for the student. Mauser reflects on her own youth experiences when handling these situations, aiming to relate and empathize with students.

“When I was in high school, I had some great people around me that encouraged me in many different ways. However, I was certainly not perfect. I think that when I work with young people I can remember having a similar situation happen to me or a friend, so I have compassion for them. Teenagers are misunderstood and I try my best to be kind and patient with them each day,” Mauser said.

After working on the administration side of education for 17 years, Mauser realizes she will have to adjust to being back in the classroom.

“There will definitely be a learning curve because technology has changed. I was always on the forefront of technology when I was a mentor teacher, but things are different now. I’m also gonna go back and get my CLAD (Cross-Cultural Language and Academic Development Certificate),” Mauser said.

Assistant Principal’s Secretary Pam Cano is grateful for the opportunity to have worked alongside Mauser.

“I feel very fortunate to have been able to work with Mrs. Mauser for the past 10 years. She has taught me so much and she is so compassionate about what she does and every student that has crossed her path. Mrs. Mauser has always loved the joy of teaching and has been given a great opportunity to return to the classroom,” Cano said.

With two daughters, Caitlin and Elizabeth, still at the school, Mauser insists she will still be around as much as she can be. She knows she will miss this job but is excited for a new opportunity.

Mauser said, “I know that no matter what I’ve done in education, I have always thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel like I will be able to throw my all into this new job, so I look forward to that.”

by EMMA KACHMAR

• Mrs. Sherry Mauser to become an elementary school teacher

FEATURES

New school, new band, same love for music.

• FEATURES

Rocklin takes eighth annual Quarry Bowl

Showcase

Preview of men’s varsity football Quarry Bowl

FEATURES

Mr. Jeff Dietrich transitions from being a coach to being a teammate

LIFESTYLE

“Look What You Made Me Do” introduces a terrifying, exciting new era for Taylor Swift

FEATURES

New addition to math program multiplies the energy

NEWS

New Language Arts Teacher Brings Her Love of Literature and Writing to Whitney

FEATURES

New math teacher discovers different outlook on high school experience

FEATURES

New ILS teacher experiences new beginnings with ILS program

FEATURES

New art teacher creates new path to run on