Filed under ON CAMPUS, Showcase, SPORTS

A year of firsts for new wrestling coach Mr. Clarke Powers

Coach Clarke Powers watches his team compete at the match against Rocklin Nov. 28.

Cameryn Oakes

Cameryn Oakes

A group of students wait in F3, needing help with their math questions. A group of wrestlers wait on the mat, needing guidance from a new coach. For Mr. Clarke Powers his year has been an experience full of firsts: his first time stepping into a classroom as a teacher as well as his first time stepping onto the mat as a wrestling coach.

Joining the coaching staff for the wrestling team this year, Powers was in a completely different element. Aside from his three years of wrestling in high school as well as some time coaching tennis, never had he experienced such a position as a wrestling coach.

Nov. 28, Powers experienced another first: the first wrestling match of the season. On the sideline he encouraged his wrestlers while on and off the mat, constantly moving around to either get a better view of the match or to talk to different players. Although suffering a loss, Powers never lost focus on the match and stayed a positive influence for the wrestlers.

“I’m surprised with how much fun I’m having; it’s really fun and the kids are awesome,” Powers said.

Emphasizing how positive his new position has been for him and his team, Powers has dedicated so much of his time towards the wrestling program. He coaches all three teams, JV, Varsity and Women’s, yet mostly devotes his time to the men’s JV wrestling team and women’s varsity wrestling team.

Although he only started coaching this season, Powers still has reached out and made meaningful connections with his wrestlers.

“Powers for me has been one of the best coaches I’ve ever had. He has really pushed me to improve in the areas I need help,” Davian Hernandez said.

Being in his freshman year and on the JV men’s wrestling team, Hernandez has experienced Power’s coaching first-hand, proving to be impactful on his growth and progression in wrestling.

While he has only barely embarked on his coaching career for wrestling, Powers still has a mission for himself and his team.

“I just want to get more people out there, more people into the sport,” Powers said.

by CAMERYN OAKES

About the Contributor
  • A year of firsts for new wrestling coach Mr. Clarke Powers

LIFESTYLE

During last-minute Homecoming float building session, students finish haunted floats

ON CAMPUS

Cheer program spends night in cafeteria for bonding activities

NEWS

RTPA/RUSD ONGOING COVERAGE: RTPA president leads forum to hear from community members

NEWS

Senior Mock Interviews simulate job interviews to prepare for life after high school

NEWS

RTPA/RUSD ONGOING COVERAGE: RTPA votes on tentative 2017-18 agreement

FEATURES

Business teacher Mrs. Alyssa Gonzalez brings industry experience

ON CAMPUS

Los Angeles teacher settles in a small city

FEATURES

Former professional basketball player pursues career on campus

FEATURES

New English teacher moves all the way from the Bay Area

FEATURES

A New Start for a former Thailand Teacher