Annual blood drive helps students save lives

During the blood drive, Laurin Kleiner sits down to make her donation during fifth period. Photo by Giorgia Magnani

Students and teachers participated in the blood drive Feb.16 in the semiannual event organized by the service leadership class.

Laurin Kleiner was a first-time participant who said she always wanted to donate blood and to save lives. She thinks that everyone should do their part.

“Think about if you are the one who needs blood,” Kleiner said.

She was a little scared at the beginning but then she said that all the workers were really good and kind. So she is really happy to have done it, even if it hurt a little.

“All the volunteers were really helpful and kind and made you feel less scared,” Kleiner said.

Ms. Stephanie Lacy, a phlebotomist, worked the event in the small gym. For the past four years this job has allowed her to meet new people, visit new places and most importantly, help save lives. She thinks no one should be afraid to donate blood.

“A small prick compared to a saved life is nothing,” Lacy said.

She said each student could make a difference and that to do it in the school is a beautiful experience because not only the doctor can save a life, but this proves that everyone can do it with a small gesture.

Victoria Causland decided to be a volunteer during the blood drive as a member of the service leadership class. It’s the second time that she participated as a volunteer; her work was to check all the students that wanted to donate blood and give them the T-shirt.

Causland said, “It’s really impressive the number of students that decided to participate, we are all very happy because this is one thing that you can’t do everyday. We have also to thank all the workers, who did a very great job. They really care about the students for all the time they had been so kind and helpful.”

by: GIORGIA MAGNANI