A Day in the Life of a Track Sprinter

Photo By Jessica Randhawa

Running shoes on, jogging a couple of laps the track sprinters are getting ready for one of their everyday workouts.

“After doing ‘Wildcat jacks’ and gathering around as a whole team to talk about any of our up coming meets and we run our warm up laps and get ready for our workout of the day,” Anika Jones said.

Everyday workouts vary from ladders to block starts in various intensities, although everyone has their favorites.

“I love block starts and working hand offs with the girls varsity 4×100 team because it is one of our easier workouts, but after we do one of our more intense workouts I’m really tired but feel fired up and in shape! My least favorite workout would be ladders because you run a 100, 200, 300, 200, 100, all back to back and at various speeds and intensities,” Taylor Aidnik said

When a person is a sprinter for the track team there are various events to run; some include the 4×100 team, 100 and 200.

“My favorite event to run is the 4×100 with the varsity girls because when we win I get to share my victory with the other three girls that I run with,” Aidnik said.

The varsity girls 4×100 team consists of Kyrah Vaughn, Morgan Green, Taylor Aidnik and Holly Miller. The girls recently achieved their personal record with a 50.5 second run on April 27 at Cordova High School.

Finishing each race is met with a variety of results depending on the runner; some are full of adrenaline, and other are glad it is over.

“After a race I feel really accomplished and amazing because I know I did the best that I could and I usually get a time that I am proud of,” Aidnik said

As of right now the boys varsity team is first in league with 15-0 and primed for a league championship banner. On the other hand, the girls are fighting long and hard and currently hold second place with 12-3. The next home track meet that these sprinters are participating in is May 7 for the Sac Town Races.

By JESSICA RANDHAWA