Filed under LIFESTYLE, ON CAMPUS

During last-minute Homecoming float building session, students finish haunted floats

Back to Article
Back to Article

Using the last few hours of Homecoming float construction, Madison Olson works to complete her class’ ‘haunted manor’ themed float. The sophomore class float was haunted hospital, the junior class was haunted cemetery, and the senior class was haunted circus. Photo by Dylan de Valk

On Oct. 12 the freshman, sophomore and junior classes worked through the freshman football game on the outer track lanes to complete their floats before the Friday night Homecoming football game.

Based on the Haunted Homecoming theme, Brayden Locketz explains the inspiration for the freshman float.

“Whenever I think of Halloween, I think of a haunted mansion, but since that was the theme, we decided to go with the haunted manor,” Locketz said.

Being new to high school and the float construction experience factored into the freshman class theme.

“We chose haunted manor because coming into a new school is really creepy, especially because we’re all young and this is our first time,” Vicky Hsu said.

The sophomore float eventually settled on a haunted hospital theme.

“We were all choosing different Halloween styles, and we thought, ‘Hey, haunted hospital would be cool and creepy.’ We also watched some ‘American Horror Story’ to get inspiration,” Annie Hsu said.

However, float construction was not just easy sailing. “Getting the base of the float was difficult to make, we got some measurements wrong, and we had to redo a lot of stuff in the beginning. So we started off slow, but in the end, we pulled it all together,” Hsu said.

The junior class also experienced some difficulties with making their haunted cemetery come to life.

“Buying materials [and] making cemetery signs [is] a lot of work. [It was] a lot of money spent, and the biggest difficulty was just getting everything prepared to make it,” Matti Eaton said.

The class of 2019 was the only class to finish and perfect their float ahead of time.

Judging will take place Friday before the varsity football game, with winners to receive spirit points for their class as part of the overall Spirit Week competition.

• During last-minute Homecoming float building session, students finish haunted floats

LIFESTYLE

Volunteering creates opportunities for students to do ‘something bigger’

FEATURES

Blackberry Creek creates opportunities to help animals

LIFESTYLE

Holiday Movies to watch this upcoming season

FEATURES

Whitney Student “JHOUEY” Releases First Album

LIFESTYLE

Classic holiday drinks become tradition

LIFESTYLE

Wildcat Karaoke Episode 2

FEATURES

Softball player Alexis Caretti expresses how she balances both school, sports

LIFESTYLE

Ariana Grande tells exes ‘Thank U, Next’ in timely, addictive track

LIFESTYLE

Students and parent express their views on the topic of teenage sex

FEATURES

Trending: five looks that will prepare you for the fall season