Four ways students can be more sustainable on campus

By using reusable cups and water bottles, students can gradually decrease the 8 trillion pieces of plastic wasted per year, according to Forbes. Picture from Starbucks, used with public domain.

Between grabbing their morning coffee, packing lunch and eating out after school, the plastic and waste consumption is only increasing. Recent climate reports have caught the attention of many because of how detrimental our carbon footprint will be for years to come. Although these reports can be alarming, there are many things everyone can do to prevent the amount of waste we produce, especially as students.  

1. Use reusable cups and straws

Dutch Brothers and Starbucks are two of the popular coffee locations students frequently visit to get their caffeine fix. Reusable cups can be as cheap as $3 and can replace the plastic that is typically wasted. Not only is it more sustainable, but Starbucks will also take 10 cents off your total. Many people also bring reusable straws to eliminate the use of plastic straws if a reusable cup is not available.

2. Implement reusable snack bags

Plastic zip up snack bags may seem very convenient in the moment of usage, but their one and done factor are very harsh on the environment. Buying reusable snack bags made from silicone that can be washed and used multiple times are not only more environmentally friendly, but they are financially beneficial. As opposed to buying plastic bags every month, you can simply reuse your silicone bags.

3. Ditch plastic water bottles

Dasani, Arrowhead and Smart Water are just a few popular water brands bought by students. Using one plastic water bottle every day can become very wasteful quickly as well as can be financially detrimental. Investing in a reusable water bottle such as a Hydro Flask, Klean Kanteen or a Contigo can eliminate the number of plastic water bottles used.

4. Carpool or walk to school

Although students are spread out throughout different cities in the Placer County area, one can typically find someone who lives in the same area. Take advantage of those living in the same area and carpool to and from school. If students live close enough they can even walk. Saving that gas can reduce our carbon footprint and also create fun experiences to have with friends.

Overall, becoming more sustainable can be simple when taking the right steps.