Maddy Fitzgerald places 6th at Girls State

Fitzgerald at the two-day Napa tournament leading up to State. Photo courtesy of MADDY FITZGERALD

Like a car only needs gas, Maddy Fitzgerald requires just one ingredient for success: a passion for wrestling.

“I eat, breathe, (and) sleep wrestling,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s what I love to do.”

Fitzgerald was the first wrestler from this school to win the Masters tournament, which ultimately led her to the girls’ state tournament on Feb. 24-25.

“This is the second year they’ve had Girl’s state, and she won her first two matches and got into the semifinals,” wrestling coach Mr. Daniel Parker said.

That was where she lost to last year’s State champion and last year’s National champion. It was a 6-1 loss, and she placed sixth at State. Despite these losses, Fitzgerald keeps up high spirits about what she accomplished.

“Placing at State is a big deal. This has been my goal all year, and to top it off getting first at Masters was a great accomplishment,” Fitzgerald said.

The tournament was so significant that Fitzgerald experienced a new kind of nervousness.

“I have never been so nervous, like if someone was going to have open heart surgery.” Fitzgerald said.

In order to fulfill her achievements, Fitzgerald required several months of practice and sacrificed family, friend, and homework time.

Fitzgerald has also competed at more than 40 matches throughout the year at both girls-only and mixed tournaments. She kept up a winning record against boys and girls. She even medaled at one of the smaller tournaments.

“I’m extremely proud of her. She worked really hard. There’s no way to go into these tournaments and do well without a lot of hard work and preparation,” Parker said. “She worked for that, she earned those things. Nothing was given to her.”

Fitzgerald expresses gratitude to her dad, Coach Chewy, Coach Parker and her teammates.

Fitzgerald hopes to earn a scholarship to pursue her love of wrestling in college and wants to be a veterinarian.

By KAVLEEN SINGH