Owl City’s new EP is ‘solid gold’

Owl City’s singer Adam Young. Photo by gomoxie.org

You may have heard of Owl City from the hit single “Fireflies,” or you may not even be familiar with the name Owl City. On “Shooting Star,” his 4-song EP, which features tracks from his upcoming album due in Summer 2012, he certainly breaks the mold of stereotypical radio music. Owl City’s Adam Young voice has a very unique style to it, one that isn’t heard anywhere else.

In “Shooting Star,” the lyrics are not only empowering, they have a great beat to go with them. The techno sound of this song doesn’t take away from the song at all – in fact, it actually strengthens the song’s unique tempo. The piano riffs in the song add to the song’s lightheartedness. The lyrics in “Shooting Star” aren’t the stereotypical lyrics you’re probably used to hearing on the radio. This song has the kind of lyrics that will be stuck in your head all day — not that you’ll mind, though.

Next on the list is “Gold.” The track features a whistle that dies out, then returns later on in the song. The lyrics are great too, and this track is a solid one. Solid gold. While the song does carry a slight wave of repetitiveness, it’s so catchy that it almost doesn’t matter. It’s still a great track, and with lyrics like “I don’t need the stars in the night/ I found my treasure/ All I need is you by my side/ So shine forever”, this track is pretty well-crafted.

Moving on to “Take It All Away.” From the start, this song carries promise. It has a beat that isn’t heard all over the radio waves, with a background clap that surprisingly works with the song to deliver yet another unique sound. With the other two tracks, we had upbeat lyrics, with light meaning. With “Take It All Away,” we get a different set of lyrics to listen to. This song has a sad feel to it, a song that anyone who’s been in love can relate to. “There were tears in your eyes/ And there was nothing to say/ ‘Cause you made up your mind/ And so I guess what you meant/ When you left was goodbye.”

Last, but certainly not least, is “Dementia,” which features vocals from blink-182’s Mark Hoppus. The underlying beat in this song has an extreme party feel to it, maybe to make up for the sad love song tone of “Take It All Away?” Regardless, you won’t be disappointed. There’s no dubstep in this song, which most teenagers are mildly obsessed with, but you won’t miss it at all with “Dementia.” What you find instead is ultimately better. The echo effect in this song is beautiful, and it has the potential to become your new favorite song. The lyrics in “Dementia” aren’t overused; they’re quite original, with an amazing medley of vocals to back them up. “Big surprise, I’m a ghost keeping out of sight/ Rub your eyes, you’re a star in a summer night/ This is love, this is war, it’s insanity/ Dementia, you’re driving me crazy.” Owl City’s “Dementia” is a great song in all aspects.

Owl City’s new album comes to stores in summer 2012, but you can get your Owl City fix with their four-song EP out now. You won’t regret it, there’s a song for every mood you could possibly be in, from lovesick, to dance mode, or if you’re just in the mood to party. Owl City played with a multitude of different sounds, and made them all sound great. The EP is just the tip of the iceberg though, as I expect the rest of the songs that will be on the summer album will sound just as amazing. Honestly, besides a few minor quirks, this four-song EP is definitely worth your money.

By HARMONY REILLY