Wildcat Cafe

Mrs. McCrory checks students’ food for perfection. Photo  byLinnea Janzon.

A fire going–fake, of course–and soft music playing sets the mood of warmth and security. The smell of hot chocolate and the soft warm bread encourages people to jump right in to eat. There are no worries of school and stress; people relax and indulge in the food prepared by the Culinary II class for each Wildcat Cafe.

“I don’t remember exactly the first meal I had. I first started going to the cafe when Mrs. (Carissa) McCrory started the cafe. I don’t have a favorite; they have all been yum-yums in my tum-tum,” Spanish teacher Mrs. Jennifer Reasner said.

Wildcat Cafe is a restaurant cafe located in McCrory’s room, F10, for students, teachers and parents to come eat food prepared by students. Culinary II students make lunch following a gourmet menu for $7 per ticket. They serve an appetizer, salad or soup, a main dish and a dessert. Lunch is served on Mondays from 12:40 to 1:30 p.m. on each flex day.

“They get to learn about high-level restaurants and techniques. They learn skills to help become better employees and to work well as a team. My goal is for my students to be prepared to transition smoothly into a culinary education program or to be equipped to handle entry level positions in the culinary career field,” McCrory said.

When working at Delta High School as the home economics teacher, McCrory was introduced to the cafe program and adapted it to be more upscale and have better ingredients and cooking techniques.

“My favorite part of being a part of the cafe has always been coming in to cook! I have always loved cooking and I get out of the rest of my classes to do what I love,” senior Ashleee Baker said.

For teachers with meetings or students leaving school, to-go lunches are another offering from the Cafe. The Culinary II chefs have everything made and ready to go by 12:45 p.m. and drinks are included. The next cafe is March 15 and the food to be served is based on a Greek theme.

By MARISSA GEDDE