‘The Call’ will have you on the edge of your seat

Photo from the official The Call website http://www.call-movie.com/, used with permission under fair use.

As my best friend and I walked into theater 9 at Blue Oaks Cinema  to see “The Call,” I could feel my adrenaline pumping and my heart beating fast. The trailers on TV set my expectations so high and some writers were giving the movie 4 out of 5 stars, so I was too excited. I paid $10 for my ticket and lots of money on average popcorn and expensive soda, so I was hoping that it was not a was not a waste. Boy, was I right. Once the credits were rolling, I could honestly say I was disappointed that the film had ended.

The characters in the movie worked very well together and I was at the edge of my seat, biting my nails the whole time. Halle Berry was not hard on the eyes, and she fit the role of Jordan perfectly. She played the 911 operator who was very convincing in her part and had me feeling sorrow for her as she went through very tough feats to save Casey Welson, played by Abigail Breslin. Breslin was your everyday teenager kidnapped at the mall by an unknown man. She showcased an award-winning performance and really showed fear in being kidnapped.

I had to keep reminding myself that it was just a fictional movie and not based on a true story. Berry and Breslin worked well together and had me wondering what was going to happen next.

The kidnapper, Michael Foster, played by Michael Eklund, was possibly was one of the most convincing roles I have seen in awhile. He had me thinking that it is not possible for him to be a normal man, after that movie portrayed him as a creepy psychopath serial killer. Some of his rituals were just to the max weird. He had my jaw on the ground and the whole thing made me very uncomfortable. It was awesome. All in all, the choice of cast was spot on.

The movie was rated R because of some gory scenes, but they were necessary because after all, it is a thriller. There was a scene in which a man was stabbed repeatedly with a screw driver (by Michael Foster) and the girl whom he had kidnapped was cut deeply with a knife. Lots of screams were heard throughout the theater and I sure was holding onto my friend’s hand. Tight. There were lots of scenes with blood and violent deaths which could be too much if you are squeamish with a queasy stomach. But if you can take it, “The Call” is a great movie for you. One cannot forget that it is a suspense movie, and so there are a lot of scary parts. It will definitely make the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up, if you are into these kinds of films. This is not a movie to be seen with little siblings or cousins, rather with your parents or friends.The Call was a huge success in my eyes and I advise it for everyone because it will fulfill the interests of people of all ages, from teenager to adult.

by DESIREE STONE