Band Camp marches into Whitney

Drum line works on their marching technique PHOTO BY OLIVIA GRAHL

Band camp: a chance for the marching band to learn new routines, practice new music and bond with new members. Starting Aug. 5 and going until Aug. 16, members of the marching band spent more than 55 hours perfecting their performances. Some days were spent going over the marches while others were dedicated purely to the music.

“My favorite part of band camp is probably the music block because you don’t have to do any drill, you just have to work with everyone else and get the music right. The music theme for this year is, Music for a Dark Stadium. It’s kind of like scary music, like stuff from Halloween and movies,” sophomore Ethan Nelson said.

Another big part of band camp is having the bandmates bond with each other. Drumline members sit in a circle and ask each other random questions just to get to know each other better. The bonding time also helps incoming freshman feel more welcome.

“You have to meet new people because you have to interact with them during performances. It’s a great way to meet new friends. We really get to bond with each other during these days. Some of these kids are freshman but most of them are people who are able to help you and if you know them you can say ‘hi’ to them on campus or ‘hey do you know where my class is?’” freshman Madison Mohoff said.

Marching band works on routines that they will use for the halftime show at football games and for competitions. Their first competition will be on Oct. 26 in Anaheim, but they will also be performing at the first home football game on Aug. 30.

by OLIVIA GRAHL