Students prepare for a year of Advanced, Honors and A.P. classes with summer homework

Junior Anessa DeSouza works on her summer homework on Sept. 10. Photo by ABI BROOKS.

For a regular student, school did not start until until 7:45 on August 20. For the students in Advanced, A.P. and Honors classes, school started before that, when they began their summer homework.

“I think the teachers give out summer work because it’s supposed to get us back into an academic mindset,” junior Jonah Petty said.

Some students are realizing how much they are taking on by taking some of the higher placement classes, and how much the work load will actually be.

“I already don’t know what I’m reading. I think A.P. Biology is going to be really hard this year if I don’t stay ahead,” junior Sarah Engelsgaard said.

Engelsgaard said the summer homework for A.P. Biology and Honors English has taken quite a bit of time to finish.

“AP Biology is a lot of work, we’re supposed to have the first five chapters done by the time school starts,” Engelsgaard said.

Senior Sophie Butler, who is taking four A.P. classes this year, said some of the homework assigned is excessive.

“I had a 46 page packet for A.P. Calculus.  For A.P. Literature I had to read a novel and a short story then write an essay about them. For A.P. Chemistry I had to do a problem worksheet and memorize polyatomic ions,” Butler said.

Despite all of the time it takes to do summer homework, senior Aaron Miller decided was worth it.

Miller said, “It gets people thinking about what their class will be like and if they will enjoy it or not. Even though I wish I could spend this time doing other things, I do think summer homework is necessary in some cases.”

by ABI BROOKS