Freshman takes on girls’ varsity basketball

In the locker room, 10 minutes before the girls’ varsity basketball game against Cosumnes Oaks, Kymaya Wallace calms her nerves by putting on her Apple earphones listening to “You Can’t Stop Me” by Andy Mineo.

Wallace is one of the two freshman on the girls’ varsity basketball team. She has proved to be a strong force on the team.

“With only two years of playing experience under her belt, and making varsity her freshman year, I see big things in Kymaya’s future. What I expect is for her to stay humble, continue to build her basketball IQ, and learn to be a great leader on and off the court. The sky’s the limit with her potential, and with her drive and focus, I have no doubt she’ll accomplish any goal she sets her mind to,” head coach Sydney Gatson said.

Wallace is a small forward and a shooting guard that averages four-to- five points a game. During her most recent game, Wallace scored five points with three rebounds.

“I’ve always wanted to play basketball in college and being on a varsity team as a freshman is a step closer to achieving that goal,” Wallace said.

On Maxpreps.com a nationwide website that holds records for athletes in all high schools in the  United States, Wallace ranks 83 in the nation. She hopes to move up as she sets her goal of trying to make varsity again for the next three years.

“It’s a real confidence booster knowing that as a freshman I’ve made the varsity team,” Wallace said.

Wallace’s next game will be Jan. 30 at 7 p.m against Bella Vista at home.

by MISSIE CARACUT