Kindness lessons promote anti-bullying campaign

Photo used with permission under fair use.

Kindness week is a week dedicated to students to teach them a lesson on daily problems like bullying and motivating students to keep kindness acts going. Before lunch and during intervention a video will play, which will lead into a lesson led by the teacher. A typical lesson will teach students to work together and appreciate each other. But what do students really think about kindness lessons and do they appreciate them?

“It’s a waste of time for seniors, I have an off period after third block ,” Anisa Pierce said.

She continued to explain her busy schedule and how nice it is to go home and relax after a stressful day at school. Anisa is a senior this year and balances sports, school and home life while known to be kind to others around campus.

“It should be emphasized more towards freshman because it can help them growing up,” Zane Fizer said.

Fizer believes it is also a waste of time for seniors and should be more focused on freshman as they go through high school situations. However he does appreciate the lessons himself.

Three out of four students interviewed already believe they do kind acts on their own without being reminded by the lessons. On the other hand four out of four students believe there will be kindness lessons next year. They enjoy the warm feeling they get after unselfishly doing an act of kindness and never ask for anything in return.

“It makes people think about what other people at our school are going through. It shows people to be kind and to think before they do something,” Giseelle Barajas said.

Barajas is familiar with kindness experiments on youtube and has watched videos on her own time. She motivates herself to be as kind as possible and appreciates the kindness lessons because it can help students going through this problems.

“People don’t take it seriously because it’s just wasting their lunch time and they wanna go home,” Maria Machuca said.

by ADRIANA PENA