5 things I learned being a Shout leader at orientation

During orientation on Aug. 14, freshmen attempt to align themselves in alphabetical order. Photo by Sarah Martinez

Shout leaders welcomed incoming freshman on Aug. 14 at orientation. Kaitlyn Townsley and I, being leaders, led a group of 11 boys whom we got to know pretty well. These are the five thing I learned being a Shout leader.

1. Be loud. Loud is good. Loud gets people excited, makes them feel less nervous. Let’s them know it’s okay to be spirited.
    2. If they don’t ask, do tell. Even if the kids in my group didn’t have any questions they wanted to ask, I told them random information about our school. “On Fridays, there’s music playing at lunch. During spirit weeks, we play games at lunch in the amphitheater.” This sparked follow up questions. Now they know a little more about how Whitney works.
    3. Do anything and everything to make them feel comfortable. When they’re uncomfortable, you become uncomfortable. Let them know it’s alright to share their opinion, ask a question, tell a joke. No judgement.
    4. Yes, there are wrong answers. “Where do you go when you’re tardy?” “No, we do not go to the cafeteria.” There’s always a smart-alec. Although sometimes clever, yet often annoying, they’re what make the group relax. People can laugh at their jokes, think that maybe it’s ok to be a little goofy. They open everyone up, all by answering the question wrong, completely, 100 percent wrong.
    5. We’re all a part of the Wildcat family now. It doesn’t matter if you’re a cheerleader, a marching band member, an honors student, or don’t quite yet know who you are. When you’re up in the stands, cheering for your class, you all become one force. That’s what being part of the Wildcat family is about.

by OLIVIA GRAHL