Filed under Showcase

Step aerobics steps back onto campus

On Sept. 3, Mr. John Bosco leads sixth period step aerobics in a step routine. Photo by Olivia Grahl

Olivia Grahl

Every third block the dance room is packed. There’s feet stepping, music blasting and bodies sweating. However, dance is not in session. After a few years of being unavailable as a P.E. elective, step aerobics is back.

“I don’t think we’ve had it for three or four years; during that time we just tried some different things. This year we actually had enough girls that wanted to do it again so we decided to bring it back, and it’s been great so far,” step aerobics teacher Mr. John Bosco said.

Every class period consists of a 20-30 minute step routine and some form of cardio.

“I prepared [the routines] all summer. I learned that stuff all summer long and I learned a routine from a girl named Jenny Ford off of YouTube. She kind of helped me along. I ended up emailing her back and forth and we worked together on a few things, so it was fun,” Bosco said.

The step routines are set to today’s hit songs, like “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars and “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift, but are sped up to match the beats of the routine.

Chandra George said, “I find it really cool how we relate our routines back to the beat of the music.”

by Olivia Grahl

About the Contributor
Olivia Grahl, Editor

It’s kind of a funny story actually. Most journalists join for their love of writing, the adrenaline of interviewing a complete stranger or for the ability to capture countless emotions with a single picture. I, on the other hand joined the journalism world by complete accident. I tried to sign up for yearbook in seventh grade but was pulled the newspaper program when yearbook filled up. I’ve been hooked ever since. I honestly can’t tell you why I love it so much. The deadlines are stressful and I often have to remind myself not to tear my hair out. But that feeling when you see the finished product, whether its on a computer screen or it’s a tangible piece in a magazine, is totally worth the premature wrinkles forming on my forehead. I just hope I can make it to the end of the school year before passing out.

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

MULTIMEDIA

Women’s varsity volleyball faces Rocklin for league championship, falling in three sets

• Galleries

Men’s varsity water polo plays Rocklin

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

ON CAMPUS

Varsity cheerleaders share an inside scoop on their Homecoming week

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

OPINION

John Lennon made his career as an artist more about spreading peace than music

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

SPORTS

Izzy Laber makes varsity after one year cheering

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

NEWS

Senior Mock Interviews simulate job interviews to prepare for life after high school

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

LIFESTYLE

Wildcat Karaoke Episode 1

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

ON CAMPUS

Los Angeles teacher settles in a small city

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

FEATURES

Former professional basketball player pursues career on campus

• Step aerobics steps back onto campus

FEATURES

Spanish teacher moves to west coast to continue career

Step aerobics steps back onto campus