New addition to math program multiplies the energy

During Mr. Clarke Powers’ fifth period Integrated I class he teaches the students how to create area models. Photo by McKenna Ellis

With the first step into room F-3, the positive, laid back, inviting energy is felt radiating from new math teacher, Mr.Clarke Powers. Coming from student teaching in Chico, it just seems like another day in the office for the new math teacher.

Powers teaches mainly all freshmen, with 12 sophomores and one junior.

“My first day of teaching was just like any other day for me, I loved the rally and I just felt really comfortable. I had prepared myself that my kids were going to be really wild, but they we are all calm and super respectful, quite the opposite of what I expected,” Powers said.

Powers graduated from Del Oro, attended Chico state and student taught at Chico High.

Being a teacher is in Powers’ blood. He comes from a family with both parents as teachers. Powers knew it was the right career for him.

“When I graduated high school I kept thinking back to how much I enjoyed that time in my life, plus both of my parents are teachers. So I thought if and when I have kids I want them to grow up with a teacher as a parent,” Powers said.

Powers knew that the job here was a perfect fit. He has a good relationship with Mr.Justin Cutts

“Cutts is like an uncle to me and I consider his son like a nephew,” Powers said.

The thing Powers is most looking forward to doing at his first year here is getting to know his students.

“I love just having conversations with the kids, asking them how their day was, what they like to do, getting to know them on a more personal level,” Powers said.

When he is not teaching Integrated I, Powers loves the outdoors and anything to do with nature.

Powers said, “I love to work out, fish, hunt, going on hikes — generally anything having to do with nature and the outdoors.”

by MCKENNA ELLIS, SHANNON BONE and ETHAN VANDELL