Filed under NEWS, Showcase, SPORTS

JV basketball wins six games in a row

Back to Article
Back to Article

JV basketball wins six games in a row

Standing tall, Coach Paul Ackerman watches the game alongside his team playing against Ponderosa, Jan. 23. Photo by Alianna Aviles.

Starting the season with a six-game winning streak, the men’s JV basketball team continues to dominate other schools in their league. Leading the team to victory, head coach Paul Ackerman explains what he’s planning to do to keep the streak as well as promoting support from the community.

Q: What is it like to have a team winning streak in the league?

A: Well it’s good, but the most important thing is keeping the guys motivated and focused on the end prize.

Q: How does the team prepare before every game?

A: We prepare pretty much the same way. We have practice and do our best to mimic everything that would be happening in a game, so when they get on the court they are ready to play and don’t need to do any adjustments because they would already know what to do.

Q: After each win, what does the team do to celebrate?

A: There’s nothing special that we do now. We’re just mainly focused on the game and winning each one at a time, but there will definitely be some kind of celebration if we win league.

Q:  How would you promote community support for your program? Will you be doing any fundraisers?

A: We are always fundraising and always have something throughout the year. We fundraise to have students go on trips since Coach Nick French, the head coach of varsity, likes to travel. It gives teammates an experience as well as good memories.

Q: What are some other programs/fundraisers that the team has?

A: The “Little Wildcats” is a big part of our community outreach. The program is every saturday morning for kindergarten through sixth grade, while players from the basketball team coach them.

Q: What will you do to continue the team’s winning streak?

A: It’s all about keeping the team focused, not letting them be complacent, and teaching them that they can always get better.

Q: How would you promote a positive energy with your team through both positive and negative situations?

A: It’s always good to keep things positive and also letting them know that they’re always capable of playing better. Through the negative, we teach them to always be open to correction. Some may see it as a negative, but I see it as a positive because it will help them learn and grow.

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

HONORS

What it’s like: Honors LA III

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

FEATURES

Flutist makes school history with acceptance into All-State Honor Band

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

NEWS

What it’s like: AP Calculus AB

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

FEATURES

Joy Jeung and Summer Hensley participate in the media industry with their YouTube channel “Summer and Joy!!”

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

LIFESTYLE

VSCO app becomes new social media platform

• FEATURES

Peer counselors host lunch for new students

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

FEATURES

Wildcat Karaoke Episode 3

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

LIFESTYLE

Volunteering creates opportunities for students to do ‘something bigger’

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

FEATURES

Blackberry Creek creates opportunities to help animals

• JV basketball wins six games in a row

FEATURES

Whitney Student “JHOUEY” Releases First Album

JV basketball wins six games in a row