Broadcast presents at a national competition

In+Mr.+Ben+Barnholdt%E2%80%99s+broadcast+class%2C+the+leadership+staff+celebrates+finding+out+they+will+be+eligible+to+partake+in+a+national+competition+Jan.+23.+Photo+by+Mr.+Ben+Barnholdt.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

In Mr. Ben Barnholdt’s broadcast class, the leadership staff celebrates finding out they will be eligible to partake in a national competition Jan. 23. Photo by Mr. Ben Barnholdt.

WCTV 19 has been a reputable student produced news television show and has earned credible awards over many years. This student produced program has won the Excellence Award for four years, including three in a row, and won the Best Overall Network.

In early January the students were notified that they won Student Television Network’s (STN) “Best Daily-Taped” show in the west and will move on to compete at a national level. They were also notified anchor Faith Abercrombie will receive a chance to present during the closing ceremony of the competition.

“I couldn’t believe it when Nancy, the CEO of Student Television Network, called me on my phone and told me that my video audition got picked to be one of the presenters. I’m super excited, and I wasn’t expecting to get it all because students from all over the country send in audition videos,” Abercrombie said.

Along with Abercrombie, alum Sarah Murphy (Class of 2017) will be presenting as the past Student of the Year. These events are huge accomplishments for the broadcast program since these contests are highly competitive.

This year’s STN conference is in March in Nashville, a location which most students have not visited. The location by itself is a huge factor for 68 students to be excited about their future trip.

“I’m excited for being in Nashville in general. My sophomore year we went to Atlanta, and it was so fun because no one has ever been there before. A lot of people have never been to Nashville, so it’s going to be a unique experience for everyone being in a different environment,” Abercrombie said.

Abercrombie also explained the valuable experiences she gained from broadcast.

“Broadcast has given me confidence and a sense of independence. I feel like everyone has a purpose, and I think my purpose is sharing people’s stories,” Abercrombie said.

Broadcast students attending the convention will compete March 15-18 in Nashville.

• FEATURES

Peer counselors host lunch for new students

• Broadcast presents at a national competition

FEATURES

Wildcat Karaoke Episode 3

FEATURES

Blackberry Creek creates opportunities to help animals

FEATURES

Whitney Student “JHOUEY” Releases First Album

FEATURES

Miracle City helps restore families’ lives after Camp Fire tragedy

FEATURES

Softball player Alexis Caretti expresses how she balances both school, sports

FEATURES

JV player Sophia Perkins compares her soccer experiences

FEATURES

Recipes to ‘fall’ in love with this easy-to-make apple pie

FEATURES

Voter’s guide to RUSD elections

FEATURES

Trending: five looks that will prepare you for the fall season