Disney’s ‘Prom’ actually doesn’t bomb

I admit, I was a little worried about Disney taking on another teenage-centered movie. I wondered what “Prom” could possibly bring up that hasn’t already been done? Well, the answer is this” a fantastical way of expressing reality.

“Prom” was a heart-warming, feel-good kind of movie. I must have said “Awww!” at least 11 times throughout the film. The movie chronicles the different dramas behind characters that unfold as prom approaches. I enjoyed the way the separate stories flowed and connected. The focus was not on one stereotypical prom conundrum, but on issues that could very well be found today. Among these issues are choices made for life after graduation, broken families, complicated relationships and misunderstood outcasts.

The film gets a lot of its realistic emotion, however, from the chemistry and obstacles faced by the movie’s couples. Some characters struggle to reveal the truth, some face reality and some strengthen their bonds. But the most enthralling relationship was that of the high-achieving Nova Prescott (Aimee Teegarden) and misunderstood outsider Jesse Richter (Thomas McDonell). The two contrasting characters are shoved into having to work together to fulfill Nova’s vision for prom. Teegarden and McDonell were successful in capturing the emotion between Jesse and Nova. McDonell played his part well as the brooding bad boy and Teegarden was pure sunshine as Nova. Together, the pair unravels the complexities they face and how they can overcome those challenges together.

Every heartbreak was moving, and each success radiated joy. The humorous aspects of situations and personalities were definitely well done, especially by the character of Lloyd Taylor (Nicholas Braun), who goes through painstaking, yet amusing situations in an effort to get a date to prom.

But “Prom” was not perfect. The film exaggerated the importance of prom, making it seem like the culmination of every school accomplishment, like it was what everyone should look forward to the most. Prom is not a wedding. It is a dance. It does not determine your entire high school reputation.

Aside from the saccharine, histrionic way everyone gushed over prom, the film was thoroughly entertaining. It was a little like “High School Musical” minus the musical and with actual life thrown in.

“Prom” is a PG film due to a little bit of language and violence. A broad range of age groups would enjoy this movie, but teens and older would relate better.

For a happy, sunshine-filled, heartwarming movie, ask a friend and go to “Prom.”

By KIMY CABRERA