Teacher coordinates program giving girls free formal dresses

During intervention April 12, Mrs. Navi Riar shows a dress to students. Photo by Martina Zito.

During intervention and after school in room F-1, Mrs. Navi Riar is giving away free formal dresses. Every girl has the opportunity to try on all the dresses, and if they find one that they like, they can have it. Furthermore, the teenagers can also keep their dress after the event they used it for.

Riar answered some questions related to this initiative organized with the school’s help.

Q: Who started this project?

A: This project was started by Studio Movie Grill. The movie theater gave teenagers the possibility to get a free movie ticket in exchange for a prom dress to donate to the company.

Q: Why did you choose to take part in this project? Is your decision related to your high school years?

A: Diana Capra from our district found out about the project and she thought it was a good idea. She wanted high school girls to have the opportunity to get a prom dress for free. Young women need to know that you can look great without spending too much money, and they don’t have to get overwhelmed by the idea that the more expensive it is, the better you will look.  Students want to be part of events like dances during their high school career, but sometimes they just need help. I was that kind of student, too; that is also why I am willing to help them. When I went to school it was hard for me to buy a dress, so I had to rent it. Furthermore, helping people is a part of me that I can’t help and I also love fashion and seeing everyone’s different taste about dresses.  

Q:How many dresses do you have?

A: Studio Movie Grill gave me over 150 dresses. Our staff donated over 20 dresses as well.

Q:How many girls got a dress so far?

A: Ten for right now.

Q: Until when will the dresses be available?

A: The dresses will be on campus until May 4, and they will be taken away to the Lincoln Dress May 7. If after their dances, girls want to donate back their dresses, they can. Donating back the dresses will help keep our collection updated. Furthermore, it could develop in a “Wildcat helping out another Wildcat” project and in addition to the help given from the Studio Movie Grill, hopefully this program can grow even more.

Q: What message do you have for girls who are looking for a dress?

A: I would like them to understand that they don’t need to spend a lot of money; it is how you feel in the dress that is important.