College and Career Center technicians Ms. Amber Patterson and Mrs. Rachel Lund help seniors explore their interests as application deadlines approach

The College and Career Center is open in a new location: the library. Technicians Mrs. Amber Patterson and Rachel Lund are available to help students with concerns regarding applications. Photo by Zoe Cloud.

After the revamping of the College and Career Center, Ms. Amber Patterson joins Mrs. Rachel Lund in the library as the new head coordinator. Both have spent the past five years working at Rocklin High School’s center and are seeking to educate more students about potential college and career pathways.

“[Students] can step into the College and Career Center, which is now located in the library, not the office,” Patterson said. “It is an opportunity for students to walk in and ask any questions they have. Anytime me or Mrs. Lund is there, pop in, and if we’re not busy, we’re going to answer your questions.”

The College and Career Center is open every Monday to Thursday during break and lunch. Patterson is found in the library on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, while Lund can be reached on Mondays and Thursdays. Appointments are available on the College and Career Center website, but walk-ins are encouraged to help students determine their plans for the future.

“I can help students of any grade figure out what they want to do, and start them on the path to get where they want to go,” Patterson said. “What the process looks like will be different depending on what [the student] wants to do and how old they are in their high school career. We can talk about what classes to take, opportunities for work, or volunteering in their field. We can also talk about how to build their resume to get to where it needs to be for those sorts of opportunities.”

The College and Career Center can also help seniors get ahead on applying for college or developing a career plan after high school. Gavin Teames is using the advice and information given to prepare for his academic life moving forward.

“My main goal is to go to the University of Nevada Reno after high school,” Teames said. “My parents and Mrs. Patterson have looked over the procedures and financial aid to see what best ensures my chances of getting into college. [Mrs. Patterson] is really good at what she does. We talked about college applications and the whole process of it after submission.”

Seniors have also been seeking help from their school counselors, who also can guide students through obstacles during the process. Senior Ken Munoz plans to attend a four year college in California. In working towards this goal, he aims to utilize all of his experienced sources.

“[I´m going to] talk to my older sister because she’s been through the whole process [already] and also make sure to communicate with my parents and my counselor,” Munoz said. 

The College and Career Center exists for the benefit of seniors or students preparing for their future. Patterson and Lund hope that students will find them to be helpful and be ready for whatever goals they have.

Patterson said, “I’m here as a resource and [Mrs.] Lund is here as a resource. We want to help you. It is our job to help you. You’re not bothering us by coming in asking questions. That is quite literally what we love to do, it is what we are here for. There’s no judgment about what plans you might be making. I’m not going to think more highly of a student that’s trying to apply to Harvard compared to a student that, for example, wants to get a job right after high school. Everybody just needs to have a plan to do something, and hopefully students will find working with us beneficial.” 

by ZOE CLOUD, ALEXUS JOHNSON & AARYAN MIDHA