Women’s, men’s varsity soccer teams celebrate their seniors

Walking out with her family, Gabby Starr leans in for a hug and kiss from her father. “My dad has influenced me a lot, especially in soccer. He played college soccer at the same place I’m going to play, Chico State. He also played semi-pro out of college. That has always been a goal of mine to get to the level he did and play with the passion he did,” Starr said.

Under the overcast skies and moments of harsh rain causing players to slip and slide, the men’s and women’s varsity soccer teams celebrated Senior Night during their last game of the season Feb. 5. Both teams hosted Rocklin. The women’s team tied 2-2, putting them in Fifth Place in league while the men’s team, being undefeated in league, won 3-0. This was their third year in a row being undefeated, winning their third league title and their fourth SFL title in six years. Both teams advanced to the playoffs.

Seniors were appreciated by teammates, family and friends through bouquets of flowers, banners, balloons, picture taking, dances and a dessert bar. Not only were the seniors honored, but Coach Matt Scammacca, the Placer United Soccer Club coach who recently passed away, also was commemorated.

The women’s team celebrated Lakelee Perkins, Lauren Hunter, Katie Hart, Dani Haas and Gabby Starr and the men’s team celebrated Christian Brewer, Trenton Giddings, Ben Lynn, Camden Osecheck, Ryan Paduveris, Evan Pimentel, Logan Thompson, Chase Wellman and Everett Shanklin. 

by CAITLYN ARCA