Joyful noise hits all the right notes

Fair use of Warner Bro’s.

The old soul of Stevie Wonder, with the modern hip-hop of Chris Brown — you’d think I am talking about a rising star’s album. Quite the contrary. Released January 13, 2012, “Joyful Noise” made a show-stopping entrance into theaters. It tells the story of love, heartbreak, and a chance for new beginnings.

The movie starts at a gospel choir competition, where stars like Vi Rose Hill (Queen Latifah) and GiGi Sparrow (Dolly Parton) are singing their voices out for the lord. Leading their choir is GiGi’s husband, who suffers a heart attack in the first three minutes of the movie.

With the choir leader no longer there, the pastor elects Vi Rose the new choir leader, though everyone thought it should go to GiGi. The tension between the two is repeated throughout the film, sometimes acting as the comic relief.

Along with the stress of running a losing choir, Vi Rose has to deal with the hardships of raising a child with a disability. Her son, Walter (played by the wonderful Dexter Darden) a soulful teen diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, is taken under the wing of bad boy and GiGi’s grandson, Randy (Jeremy Jordan). He teaches Walter how to play the piano and along the way teaches him how to control his emotions, pleasing Latifah and love interest Olivia (Keke Palmer).

Olivia is a girl with big dreams, one of which is reuniting with her estranged father who is stationed at a base a few hours out of town. She later speaks with him, telling her to keep strong with her mother who she constantly butts heads with through the film. This is another reason why I like this movie, because it was unexpected that she would talk to her father in the film, I personally thought he was just a secondary conflict filler that would not be spot-lighted.

Between the mild swearing, and hysterical sexual situations, “Joyful Noise” earned a PG-13 rating.

For example, two of the choir singers hook up in the beginning of movie, and after their one night stand the man dies of a heart attack. This completely shatters and embarasses the lovely Earla (Angela Grovey) who believes it is her fault that he died after a “long” night.

One reason that I especially enjoyed this movie was the fact that the people could actually SING. This is no “High School Musical” or “Sister Act” where people are singing left and right for the sake of a movie. The plot actually makes sense that they are in a choir singing. Not to mention they have good voices! Jeremy Jordan is starring in a Broadway show this spring and Dolly Parton has banged out hit songs since she started singing. These actors and actresses belong in this movie because they belong on the stage, with a microphone in hand.

So besides the fights, the romances, and the heart-to-heart talks, this movie features one more spectacular characteristic: the songs. The movie kicks off with gospel music and progresses through with today’s artists like Michael Jackson, Lil Wayne and Chris Brown. They had me dancing in my seat, as well as my friends.

Joyful Noise is a great movie, and will sing and dance its way into your hearts — with plenty of noise along the way.

By MARINA DRAB