How 10-year-olds at Sephora are causing negative reactions from older audiences

Popular skin care and makeup products such as Drunk Elephant and Charlotte Tillbury have caught the attention of young children around the age of 10, and they are not able to keep their hands off of it.

With the rise and popularity of skincare and makeup products at Sephora, younger Tik Tok audiences are targeted. A new saying on the Tik Tok app is the phrase “10 year olds at Sephora.” This saying has caused older audiences to have a negative reaction, bringing about the dangers of skincare and makeup on youthful skin, and has also allowed them to reflect back onto their childhood. 

A popular brand that has caught the attention of most children is the skincare brand  “Drunk Elephant ” This brand has multiple serums and moisturizers that contain anti- aging ingredients that are not healthy for young skin. Retinols and acids in daily skincare routines are extremely damaging to their skin barriers. Multiple adults have come forward on Tik Tok, sharing their experience shopping in Sephora and having to deal with kids causing problems over skin care and makeup. 31 year old Tik Tok influencer Haylee Baylee shares that when she was purchasing a Drunk Elephant sunscreen, a 10- year- old came up and “stole the sunscreen out of[her] basket.” She went on to say “I didn’t think that these little girls would ever steal something out of my basket after I was so nice to them.” 

While viewing all the videos of children acting “older,” young adults reflect on what they were doing when they were around 10 years old.

“When I was their age, the most amount of makeup I had was cheap eye shadow and lip gloss from the kids store Claire’s, I wasn’t even worried about skin care back then,” Payton Dean said. 

A main concern for adults is that children are wasting their childhood, trying to act older, and will eventually regret their choices as they grow. “Even now as a teenager, I wish I could go back and relive a day in my childhood. I wish I wasn’t always so focused on being older and being treated like an adult,”  Rachel Pifer said.