All-American Rejects release new album that is sure to please

Photo of the All-American Rejects’ new album Kids in the Street. Photo illustration by SHAI NIELSON

Head bangers, air guitarist, table-top drummers: rejoice. The All-American Rejects have come out with a fourth album, Kids in the Street, that from just the first two songs sounds like a teen rocker’s favorite new album.

The whole album was released March 26, but I had the liberty of hearing the two song sampler before all the songs came out. One of the two songs is “Someday’s Gone” which is about a guy losing a girl who thinks she deserves more than she gets from the guy. The guy then realizes she deserves more as well and when she leaves, he realizes his “someday is gone.”

The song starts extremely edgy and will make you want to throw your fist in the air before it continues with a slower melody that keeps your head bumping as the story of the lyrics progresses. It may not sound very “rockish,” but the beat of the song can get you past the lyrics if you don’t feel any connection to the story.

I checked out the music video for “Someday’s Gone,” and let’s just say you have to see it to believe it. It’s very strange.

The second song is “Bookkeeper’s Daughter,” which won’t exactly get you up on your feet dancing, but it still has a good enough beat to keep you listening.

The lyrics never mention a bookkeeper’s daughter, but it becomes obvious as the song goes on that the girl that lead singer and bass guitarist Tyson Ritter is singing about isn’t a “rebel child” like him, but an innocent girl. Ritter sings of how he can’t settle down with just one girl and that the girl in the song will end up waiting for his so-desirable-self.

Arrogance fills the melody of the song, yet in the end the girl realizes what a player and bad boy Ritter really is, so she leaves him.

This video is also quite interesting and includes a whole city in crazy outfits and choreographed dance routines.

These two songs (and the rest of the album’s previews on iTunes) prove to be significantly edgier and more alternative than the band’s otherwise more pop songs like “Gives You Hell” or  “Dirty Little Secret,” which means you may not hear them on the popular radio stations like 100.5 or 107.9. That means you need to move your mouse to your iTunes and buy Kids in the Street now so you too can start rocking out.

By SHAI NIELSON