Clubs set up for Multicultural Week

To+promote+Multicultural+Week+April+21+Destinee+Kombo+and+Rebecca+Alferos+paint+a+poster.+From+9%3A00+to+noon%2C+members+from+Black+Student+Union%2C+Asian+Youth+Leadership+Association%2C+Multicultural+Club+and+Hispanic+and+Latin+Culture+Club+help+set+up+by+designing+banners%2C+chalking+the+sidewalk+and+setting+up+decorations+on+trees+on+campus.+
Julia Leveron Hidalgo
To promote Multicultural Week April 21 Destinee Kombo and Rebecca Alferos paint a poster. From 9:00 to noon, members from Black Student Union, Asian Youth Leadership Association, Multicultural Club and Hispanic and Latin Culture Club help set up by designing banners, chalking the sidewalk and setting up decorations on trees on campus.

In the beginning of February, Rayzel Palakiko hosted and planned Multicultural week to be celebrated April 21-26, from LTA’s to the Multicultural fest Friday night.

“The biggest intention for Multicultural Week is to be able to celebrate the diverse cultures on our campus and allow our students and staff to embrace their cultures without having to worry about any negativity, ”Palakiko said. “We want everyone to feel included, safe and most importantly respected. We discuss how many events we want for the week, do we want a dress up day, should we do this or that and advertisement is a huge thing that plays a part of the planning process as well. Being able to reach everyone on campus so people are aware of what Multicultural Week is, and what it means is really important to me. One of many pieces of advice given to us was, ‘start with a low hanging fruit’ meaning start small and in later years, we can work to improve in certain areas to go bigger and bigger. This is our first official Multicultural Week on campus since 2021. It takes a village to plan these types of events for our school and without the collaboration of our cultural clubs, leadership and admin, we couldn’t have made this possible.”

by SOFIA DUNMORE & JULIA LEVERON HIDALGO